cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SMcK79
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

BT is starting to affect my sanity....

So here is the story of how i've been trying to get phone/broadband installed...

Moved into the property and ordered TV/Calls/Broadband from Sky... received a letter in the post a week later telling me they couldn't activate the calls/broadband but gave no reason. Turns out the previous occupants (also my landlord) had theirs through Hydro Electric and apparently Sky can't port numbers etc from anyone other than Virgin or BT (i guess because they own the lines... go figure huh?)

So I decide it will be much easier to just contact BT and order Line Rental/Calls/Broadband from them instead.

Placed my order online on 15th June stating that there is an existing line but i'll need a new phone number. Previous occupants had a residential and a business line apparently but what's that got to do with me?

Woman from India (i'm guessing) called me on 21st June asking me if my line was working and if i had a number. Also asked me if i'd received any sort of confirmation in the post from BT. I said yes the line had been working since the 19th and gave her the new number but nothing in the post. I wasn't at home however so I was to call back when I was and she could do a line test.

Called back on the 23rd... turns out the residential line which had been working a few days earlier is now dead. Switch the phone into the socket for the business line and it's working. I now get told that after a line test there is only a business line active in my apartment. She has absolutely no idea how there was a working residential line here just a few days earlier and tells me the number that was working here is now working somewhere else. (WTF?!?!)

She also tells me that the residential line has been permanently disconnected from the exchange (again wtf / sigh). Apparently she will have to send a request to the business team and ask them to convert the business line to a residential one. I ask (imo extremely reasonably) why they can't just reconnect the residential line that shouldn't have been disconnected in the first place. She tells me she'll send a request to the business team again. I explain that she's ignoring me and the customer service stinks. She tells me that she doesn't work in the customer service team and that she'll send a request to the business team again (shocking customer service). I ask to talk to her supervisor as I feel i'm getting nowhere.

Supervisor comes on the phone... seems much nicer and happier to help. Has no idea why the line was disconnected and how it was working a few days earlier with a new number but assures me that they will investigate to give me an answer. I ask how long the request with the business team will take as his colleague couldn't answer it. He tells me he will have an answer the next day in the morning. Wait all day on the 24th for a call back... NOTHING.

Called back again today (Sat 25th Jun)... original woman isn't there and neither is her supervisor. Nothing has happened with the request to the business team. Have to explain the whole thing again to someone new. Guess what she tells me time and time again... a request has gone to the business team.

So... to summarize... BT make it too hard for other companies to provide service on their line so it takes me 2 weeks of screwing around to find out it's too much hassle to get a line from Sky. Order with BT instead... they "lose" the residential line that was here but leave the business one connected. They "lose" the reason why the residential line was disconnected. They are completely in the dark as to how there was a working residential line here with a new phone number a few days earlier... and they answer every single question or remark with "a request has been sent to the business team"

To top it all off... i can't track the order online because it's still only pending according to the order tracker.... and because of internal organisational/communication/incompetence problems my order hasn't even been initiated (ie no home hub has been sent out so i'm not expecting to have internet soon)

Ironically... i'm paying 3 quid a day to access a really crappy BT wifi hotspot for internet access... and of course they don't give you a non-chargeable number to call them on so it's costing me a small fortune in mobile phone calls to them.

I'm just flabbergasted at the extent to which they have no idea what's going on and how the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. It is the proverbial brick-wall... you just cannot get a clear answer from anyone... so please someone help me as I am beginning to fear i'm the only sane person left!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
justatwork
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT is starting to affect my sanity....

There is a free number for mobiles... 0330 123 4150

0 Ratings
Icarus5000
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

0330 1234 151/150 is not a free phone number.

Calling 0330 1234 151/150 from a mobile is the same rate as calling a 01 or 02 number so depending on;

a. your mobile network provider

b. whether you are on a PAYG or Contract

If you have a contract with free minutes then the call to 0330 may be included within your mobile free minutes but if you have PAYG then you will pay by the minute.

And in all fairness to BT they do offer a free phone number, 0800 800 151/150 but the mobile provider is the one who charges you for the call and not BT. If you have an issue with being charged for dialling an 0800 number from your mobile you really need to take that complaint up with your mobile network provider.

0 Ratings
SMcK79
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Ok... thanks guys... but that's really not much help at all. I was given an 0800 number to get directly through to the same person on the line activation team each time.

I'd appreciate not having this thread filled up with random stuff not applicable to the problem i'm trying to get some advice on.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 7

@SMcK79 wrote:
Ok... thanks guys... but that's really not much help at all. I was given an 0800 number to get directly through to the same person on the line activation team each time.

I'd appreciate not having this thread filled up with random stuff not applicable to the problem i'm trying to get some advice on.

hi Smck79, sorry this is a customer to customer forum and I do not believe that we can help you. The moderators of these forums are the only BT reps on here. They might be able to assist you if you fill out this form with a link back to your post.

You can fill in this form:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951 bear in mind it can take upto 72hrs before they get in touch

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
terienergy
Message 6 of 7

Hi I tried to switch to BT a few years ago (now considering switching back to Them) and also felt my sanity slipping. before you have an account you get the run around and usually end up in India. In my case my order was stuck and oneone was helpful. In the end I called sales and thanked the sales lady for being nice. She checked my order for me and fixed the problem. After that I got my account working properly and BT were then helpful. So I suggest you try the sales route not to buy but to talk to someone who wont transfer you. it worked for me.
0 Ratings
kmccaughey
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Welcome to BT! I used to work for them - dreadful company, can't communicate at all amongst themselves. I remember when I started out with them and I actually tried to help the customer, but it was impossible as you were powerless and could never actually get hold of the person who could actually do anything, in any department, ever. After I gave up they sent our jobs to india anyway, and you are probably better asking your dog or cat to fix your phone than talking to those people in Bombay or wherever they are.

0 Ratings