cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

BT latest Home Hub. . . The chocolate fireguard??

We've just switched from Newnet, a small independent ISP, to BT Broadband in response to BT's 'summer offer'. I don't imagine we've been alone in taking advantage of BT's seeming generosity.

We received the latest BT Hub wireless router (value £90???) and software and installed it last Friday. It replaced our old £35 NetgearDG834G.

We live a couple of miles outside Carlisle and are connected to the exchange by ancient copper wiring which presumably travels miles and miles seeing as how Internet pergformance has always been lousy -- 'too far from the exchange', says BT, even if it's almost within visual distance. Our line's IP profile is 1.83Mbps, connection rate "up to" 2Mbps and download speed, an earth-shAttering. . . 1.62 Mbps. And, of course, it'll necver get any better than that until Government forces a privatelty-owned monopoluy to compulsorioly upgrade the ancient copper that comes from the 19th Century, rather than the 21st.

We've put up with slow speeds and expected just the same when migrating to BT. Or maybe, better. After all, it is BT's line / exchange / Broadband.

Since last Friday, we've had nothing but trouble: dropped connections, speeds so slow the Internet connection failed. And an endless -- and I do mean: absolutely endless -- spate of warnings from the BT software installed b y way of "broadband help", most of which has come down to, er, turning off the router and starting again. Yeah. Right. As if we didn't know that. Emails have stalled midway through. Web pages have frozen. And constantly, constantly, BT Broadband Help has been testing and checking and diagnosing and, well. . .

Enough is enough. At lunchtime today, I disconnected the super-smart £90 (seriously though: that much?) shoved it in its box and re-installed the old Netgear. I then reconfigured the Netgear to key into our BT Broadband account rather than the old 'un. Result?

A massive increase in speed. Not a single dropped connection. Not a single failed email transmission. For eight hours -- infinitely longer than the sooper-dooper BT hub ever managed -- I've had speed (such as it is) and stability. And not once has the dreaded warning message come up "Internat Connection  Local Only" which has been a well-nigyh hourly occurrence since using the hub.

Everybody's problem is different because everyone's situation is different. But if you're experiencing a drastic deterioration in sdervice quality since joining BT Broadband, then hook your old router out of its box and junk BT's. It may cost ninety quid and be all black and shiny and new but the evidence so far is, it couldn't hang onto a signal even if it was super-glued to it and is about as much use with a long line as a chocolate fireguard.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT latest Home Hub. . . The chocolate fireguard??

hi just a quick comment to your post is that if you are a new user you are in a 10 day line training period during which time disconnections are normal also constant manual restarts of the hub /router will cause a drop in your ip profile and a loss of download speed will follow then needing 3/5 days for the profile to rise again
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Hi, your experience is very much mirrored by my own ( even down to having transferred from Newnet).For months I suffered regular disconnections usually on a daily basis, the Home Hub 3 was replaced twice but this made no difference.

At one stage I fitted an old Linksys router which was much better but BT ignored my report of this and supplied another HH3 which was no better than the others.

About 3 weeks ago I fitted a BT2700HGV Business hub ( as a result of reading about it on this forum) - success, no disconnections and better speeds.

It looks as though in some situations the HH3 is just not up to the job and I feel that in those cases  BT should supply an alternative rather than leave the customers to sort it out for themselves.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

I have to say, the BT Home Hub 3s there are two different versions Type A and Type B, and from my experience Type A's are better on longer lines, and the sync speed is almost inline with the Business Hub, except for the stability not quite there. I recently upgraded from the 2700HGV to 2701 (BT Business Hub v3) and when the line works perfectly the 2701 will hold the connection for twice as long as the 2700hgv, and the 2700hgv for about 10x as long as the HH3.
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Hello!

We're practically neighbours!  I'm in North Stainmore and have been struggling with an HH version 1 for nearly a year.  You say your Netgear DG834G is holding on to a connection?  Where can I get one?  And would you be willing to talk (email, whatever) me through set-up and any other requirements to use it?

Please?

**Here today....blonde tomorrow**
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

I never got a BT Homehub and from all the reports over the years it's a **bleep** good job too !!

I initially got a USB Green Frog with Home 500 account but a few months later I needed more ports so bought my first Netgear router (Hard wired).

I'd probably still be using that router if I hadn't unplugged it for some reason and then plugged the wrong transformer back into it !!

The Blue Smoke Genie escaped.. Well, I guess he did coz I never saw him go !!

I then bought a Netgear DG834G wireless and have been using it ever since. (about 8 years-ish)

An MSCE in computing is like having a McDonalds Certification in World Cuisine, pointless.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

@n0n-g33k wrote:

Hello!

We're practically neighbours!  I'm in North Stainmore and have been struggling with an HH version 1 for nearly a year.  You say your Netgear DG834G is holding on to a connection?  Where can I get one?  And would you be willing to talk (email, whatever) me through set-up and any other requirements to use it?

Please?

There will be enough on that well known auction site,and cheap and they are easy to set up.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings