Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 29

Re: BT letter saying BT Sports 1 & 2 are closing on freeview on 20/10/14

"It's not necessarily a lesser service.
You get three sports channels instead of just two. I'm sure even those not that interested in ESPN won't complain about that.
The quality of the multicast SD pictures is a bit better than the DTT SD pictures.
As far as I understand it those with reasonable ADSL speeds can watch/record two channels at the same time."

It's a lesser service in that, according to BT, I will only be able to watch or record one BTS channel at a time whereas at the moment I can record two or watch one and record another.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 29

@cooperman wrote:
If the switch off is not imminent and it continues to be available on all transmitters 

Interestingly though we have no idea how imminent this might be. Have they moved over 10% or 90% already? Are they definitely going to turn off the DTT when the number using it is below a certain level? BT keep this sort of commercially sensitive information very close to their chests.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 29

@cooperman wrote:

It's a lesser service in that, according to BT, I will only be able to watch or record one BTS channel at a time whereas at the moment I can record two or watch one and record another.

BT just covering their back? I thought others who have moved to the ADSL service have posted that they can record two channels as their speed is fast enough. I don't think BT actually block that functionality, just warn you that they can only guarantee it working for one channel as some customers will be down near the stated minimum speed requirement of 5.25Mbps.

I might be mistaken though. Maybe someone already on the ADSL multicast service can confirm this?

0 Ratings
StewM
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 29

"It's a lesser service in that, according to BT, I will only be able to watch or record one BTS channel at a time whereas at the moment I can record two or watch one and record another."

Have you tried to record more than one of the channels? This could just be BT being overly cautious in what you could potentially do to cater for customers just above the minimum speed.
Stew
0 Ratings
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 29

Have not tried this on Multicast as yet as it doesn't start until tomorrow but hopefully you are right. Have not seen any posts yet to confirm that anyone can record two channels on copper multicast. I will wait until I can't get a signal on DTT before trying but I guess they will send a signal to deactivate the viewing card soon.
0 Ratings
StewM
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 29

You should receive different software which will in turn disable the viewing card.

Stew

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 29

As StewM said, BT will need to send a software update to your BT Vision+ box. This update will mean that channels 58 and 59 will disappear from the EPG and extra multicast channels in the range 101-109 and 400-599 will appear. The viewing card will no longer be used by the software.

The Copper Multicast service only offers access to a small subset of the full set of multicast channels available using Fibre Multicast.

475 - BT TV Preview

501 - Sky Sports 1  (only available to certain existing Sky Sports subscribers)

502 - Sky Sports 2  (only available to certain existing Sky Sports subscribers)

507 - BT Sport 1

508 - BT Sport 2

509 - ESPN

525 - Sky Sports 5  (only available to certain existing Sky Sports subscribers)

527 - BT Sport Extra 1  (Possibly? I'm not sure if this is available on Copper Multicast.)

For all the other multicast channels I think you will see a message saying they are only available on Infinity.

0 Ratings
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 29

Thanks both for the information, currently still receiving via DTT despite BT saying the 20th.
0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 29

It's actually very easy to check which version of the software your box is currently running.

See this previous thread. 

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Vision-box/New-Look-software-versions/m-p/1196563/

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 29

@cooperman wrote:
...  currently still receiving via DTT despite BT saying the 20th.

I think that confirms what we thought then. They aren't turning off the 58 and 59 DTT transmissions (well not yet anyway).

Looks like they just missed their own deadline for sending you the software update? Smiley LOL

0 Ratings