Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alex-c
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

BT line damaged by contractor.

Go to solution
On June 1st or 2nd my BT landline went dead; no dial tone. I used the BT website to check for a fault and it confimed one existed.

On Sunday the 4th at 8am a BT employee arrived in a van to diagnose the fault. He quickly found the issue was outside the house. His fault checker detected a break in the line about 60 metres along the main road. He measured the distance above ground and found that the ground had been dug up. A new road sign had been placed 30m back towards the house and it seemed obvious that digging at the 60m point was done at the same time - perhaps the contractor 'found' the BT line running underground and decided to relocate the sign?

Due to the nature of the road, the BT chap said there would likely be the need for traffic lights and the planning/organisation that goes with them. He did suggest that I should be updated but wasn't able to let me know more. I have to say he was extremely helpful.

I've not heard anything yet and I was hoping this forum would be a good way to find out how long it will take for the service to be restored.

Many thanks.
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
NeilO
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT line damaged by contractor.

Go to solution

@alex-c I'm sorry to see you've a fault with your line, if traffic lights are needed then it normally takes around 10 days to organise and get permission from the council before dig work can start.  If you contact the faults team they'll be able to check with Openreach to find out when the work will be completed. 

0 Ratings
alex-c
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution
Hi NeilO

I did what you said; Operator found there was a fault in the local network and said an engineer would be sent to fix the problem by the end of 14/06/2017 !!

I tried to explain that an engineer had already visited, found the issue, and said traffic lights would be required to fix the damaged line.

I do find BT frustrating to say the least. Are you able to find out anything for me?
0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

@alex-c That doesn't sound right, if you send over your details we'll take a look. You'll find the click here to contact the mods link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
alex-c
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Hi Neil

Just done that, many thanks.

0 Ratings
alex-c
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Hi Neil

Many thanks for helping to resolve the issue!

0 Ratings