cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chris8210
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

BT line, unable to receive calls or dial out, but still have internet access

Hi, i looked over one of the topics regarding someone who had no dial tone but was able to connect to the internet, i have exactly the same issue. to confirm the issue

When trying to make an outgoing call from the main BT line box (cover removed and plugged directly in) - i get no dial tone

Someone can call my number and it just rings, but the actual phone does not ring in the house

i can access the internet (not with BT)

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
bfg
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 3

Re: BT line, unable to receive calls or dial out, but still have internet access

Hi Chris8210,

It isnt as 'uncommon' as you would think, the telephone line is basically an electrical ciruit with a 2 wire circuit (Engineers refer to them as 'legs'), the telephone needs both 'legs' to be connected to the NTE (socket or termination point) and the exchange to connect the circuit and make the phone ring or calls possible but the broadband is a clever technology which uses radio waves down the copper line, it only uses 1 'leg' and there fore you can have a fault on the telephone line where there is no dial tone, but the broadband works ok.

It just a difference in technology which seems like magic.

Your number rings(when calling) because the fault is either with the line or apperatus, so the exchange still has a ringing tone when calling the faulty line.

It is still worth checking the phones/apperatus in the test point/main socketas a fault with a phone/microfilter can show the same problem.

0 Ratings
chris8210
Beginner
Message 3 of 3

Re: BT line, unable to receive calls or dial out, but still have internet access

Thanks bfg,

I have tried two different phones one brand new out the box, i have tried both in the main box and removed any filters and still the same. so would you suggest i call BT and advise them of this fault? or should it of been picked up somewhere?

0 Ratings