cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Park_Ranger
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 41

BT line upgrade ??

Ok had an email fom BT last Friday about upgrading our line, and another email today about the upgrade having been carried out.

There's no clue in the emails, or the links in the emails about the type of upgrade.

There's been no interuption in the sevice as far as I can tell (The email said it would be off for a few minutes).

I'm connected at the same speed (Usually when it reconnects the speed changes a bit), and I can see any differences in any of the router settings.

Now I thought this was the 21cn upgrade as we were down for that ion 31st of March.

Router shows

Protocol:G.DMT Annex A

Anybody have any idea what the upgrade was, the exchange is Malmesbury (SSMAL).

It would be nice if BT said in the email what they were doing. 

0 Ratings
40 REPLIES 40
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 41

Re: BT line upgarde ??

After the exchange has been upgraded to the "up to 16mb" speed, individual customers will eventually be transferred over to the new equipment, this can take many months.

Priority is usually given to new customers and those that re-contract.

If you could display your current ADSL stats   then forum members can tell you what service you are at the moment, and also give you some idea if you are likely to get a speed increase when your line is changed over.

0 Ratings
Park_Ranger
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 41

Re: BT line upgarde ??

23_05_12.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 41

Re: BT line upgrade ??

I am afraid that owing to the distance that you are from the exchange, you are not going to see any improvement to your connection, even if you did upgrade.

It may actually be worse, as the new equipment is very sensitive to noise.

You best hope is to wait to see if Infinity comes to your area.

0 Ratings
Park_Ranger
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 41

Yes I know it will make little or no difference to me, I just want to know what they are supposed to have done.

The email says "Your lines being upraded" and "Your lines been upgraded", not the exchange is being upgraded (And you may have to wait several weeks/months for your line to be upgraded).

As far as I can see, nothings been done and nothings any different.

0 Ratings
KevG123
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 41

There can be some hope

I have gone from ADSLMax

720k down, 310k up

to ADSL2

1.3Mb down, 400k up

All on a 73db line

However, I am using a BT 2Wire modem so that is the strong link in the chain (actually, the above stats screenshot looks like its from a 2Wire?)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 41

You are still connected at G.DMT Annexe A, which is just the basic ADSL speed and not upgraded.

0 Ratings
Park_Ranger
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 41

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

You are still connected at G.DMT Annexe A, which is just the basic ADSL speed and not upgraded.

So they haven't done anything..................

So why the emails ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 41

Perhaps they have left you on the old speed, on the new equipment, due to your line attenuation?

The new equipment still supports the normal ADSL speeds.

0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 10 of 41

@Park_Ranger wrote:

Yes I know it will make little or no difference to me, I just want to know what they are supposed to have done.

The email says "Your lines being upraded" and "Your lines been upgraded", not the exchange is being upgraded (And you may have to wait several weeks/months for your line to be upgraded).

As far as I can see, nothings been done and nothings any different.

Hi Park,

You have/had the same rfs date as me.  After many posts on here (see topic : Am I on ADSL Max or ADSL2+ in case it is of any use to you) it was decided that I have been upgraded to 21CN but not to full ADSL2+ but some halfway house.

I am a novice as far as computers/internet is concerned so found the advice on here absolutely fantastic.

I'm sure they will sort you out soon.

Best regards,

dfenceman

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings