cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

BT mail IMAP and Thunderbird

Go to solution

Does anyone use Thunderbird for their (IMAP) BT mail?

POP 3 works fine, but I cant set up an IMAP a/c. 

If you do, could you please post the settings for manual setup please?

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: BT mail IMAP and Thunderbird

Go to solution

Looking around the internet, I suspect this is not possible with BT mail Smiley Sad

So - I've forwarded my BT mail to a GMail a/c and tied TB up with GMail with no problems Smiley Happy

(I'll leave this unanswered for a while just in case anyone does find a workaround)

AQ.

0 Ratings
G3NDI
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

Good evening Allan,

Another alternative is PegasusMail, which I have used since 1995 on advice from the IT group at work.  

< http://www.pmail.com/  > 

The latest version is v4.52 but I use 4.51 with Win XP.

I have used a number of ISPs, but they are all accessed through the BT Yahoo e-mail server by setting the POP3 and SMTP options in Pegasus.   It allows me to look at the messages (and all the detailed header info if I wish) before deciding whether or not to down-load, delete or down-load and delete.  It is quite a sophisticated text application although I don't bother to set up the filters, just look at the message list, but easy to set up without all the extraneous graphics with web applications

Rodney Fry

Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Thank you very much for that information Rodney.  I will most certainly have a look at that.

AQ.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

In spite of advice received from the BT BB helpdesk, and thanks in no small measure to a fellow poster IanC, I can confirm that:

An IMAP BT mail a/c using Thunderbird as an e-mail client can be set up.

Incoming settings

imap.mail.yahoo.com

993 (SSL)

Outgoing settings

smtp.mail.yahoo.com

465 (SSL)

For those who wish to do this, carefully check manually, that the settings are applied.

Then check again Smiley Wink

And it works.

Again, thanks to IanC on this one. 

AQ.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

@Rodney,

Thanks for the advice about Pegasus, I had a look at it, and it was a fall-back if the Thunderbird issue could not be resolved.

Many thanks. 

AQ.

0 Ratings
proterra
Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

If youve got the latest version of thunderbird when you set up a new account it will find the relevant server settings automatically. Ive just got 1&1 account and set it up easily no probs so should do BT.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution
Thanks. The tricky bit was clearing POP 3 settings cache from the former POP 3 account on my PC. For a user who had no former POP 3 account, there shouldn't be a problem.
AQ.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

BUMP

I've bumped this thread in case anyone using Thunderbird with bt mail on IMAP wants to check their settings (above), as there have been strange goings on today with mine and a few others.

AQ.

0 Ratings
Dorsetlad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

Alan, I am waitning for my BT Broadband activation next Tuesday, and also use Thunderbird for my email.  I have been looking for a solution so that I can use it for my BTYahoo email.  I was interested to read your comment about clearing the POP3 cache.  Could you please elaborate on that, and tell me exactly what you did.  Many thanks

Brian

0 Ratings