cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tobydean131
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

BT master socket extension and router

A quick one I think- my BT main socket is under the stairs and my router lives there.  my phone is in the kitchen and there is a socket there with a cat6 cable connecting to socket to the space under the stairs.  I had wired the cat6 cable into the extension point behind the main BT socket and had plugged my router straight into the front of the main socket.  just realised that my internet would go down when using the landline- presume this is because there is no micro filter?  Believe I'm on fibre if that makes any difference.

How wouldyou go about wiring this to avoid that happening?

Many thanks

T

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT master socket extension and router

fibre SSFP.jpg

Master socket like this ? If so extension should be connected to terminals 2&5 on back of bottom faceplate and no filter required. Router connected direct to top socket on master

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
tobydean131
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Thank you- my master soccer has only one port at the front- a flat telephone jack.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Then you need a filter.

0 Ratings
tobydean131
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Thank you. Would I do better to fit a filter front plate?
If using the filter- how can I connect a cat 5 into it?
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Can you be more specific as to exactly what it is you are doing, it is not entirely clear from your original post. Do you intend to use the original location of the master socket for your router and phone or are you intending to effectively move the master socket to a new location and use that for telephony and your router? You shouldn't have 2 master sockets in circuit. Not sure what you mean by connecting cat5 into a fllter. A filter just plugs into a phone socket and provides an unfiltered RJ11 socket for the router and a filtered socket for the phone.

0 Ratings
tobydean131
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Sorry- so main BT socket is under stairs- my router is connected into this. But my phone is connected in the kitchen telephone socket which is connected to the main hub via a cat 5 cable. It is connected straight into the back of the main BT socket. The router is connected straight into the front of the socket - no filter. Everything works fine until I have a call on the landline and the internet then goes down.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Just get 2 filters, one for each socket.

The master socket should have a removable front faceplate which plugs into the test socket. The cable to the extension should be wired to terminals 2&5 of the removable faceplate, not to the rear of the backplate of the master.

Image result for nte5 wiring

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

When you say the cat5 is connected straight into back of main socket do you mean to terminals A&B where the main incoming wires are connected?  If so then just instead of connecting to back connect to terminals 2&5 on front plate then use filters on both sockets

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 10

@tobydean131 wrote:
 The router is connected straight into the front of the socket - no filter.

How can that be? You said the socket has only one port at the front- a flat telephone jack. A router plug (RJ11) does not fit a phone socket, without using a dangly filter to receive the router's RJ11 plug.

Whatever else you need to have a dangly filter on every used phone socket or replace the master faceplate by a filtered faceplate with 1 socket for phone & the other for DSL. And move this "Cat 5 cable" to the back of the faceplate, not the back of the main BT socket.