cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jambo_makaveli
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

BT mod please help!

2.jpg3.jpgUse the internet connection mostly for online gaming. was with zen internet for 2 years, and had not one single problem, it was heaven. but we felt it was maybe a tad expensive, and decided we wanted phone and internet all on the same bill, so we opted for bt broadband, against the judgement of everyone i knew who said all they knew of it was that it was terrible, but i thought it cant be bad, surely, its BT.

i got all set up and at first things seemed ok for the few days, but now in week 5 things have gone pretty much downhill. i suffer terrible lag online when all my mates on sky, and talk talk are all fine with their connections.

i had heard that if you had interleaving turned off that it could improve online gaming by reducing ping. so i phoned and spoke to someone in indi tech support who had no clue what interleaving was, but after explaining to her she eventually said she understood and would have it turned off within 48 hours.

now things are just terrible 4 days after speaking to her, i will post my stats and screen captures of tests, and hopefully someone can spot whats wrong.

id much appreciate any help!

thanx

1.jpg

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT mod please help!

welcome to the forum

from your stats you are on up to 8mb and have an 8mb connection and it looks good.  You are also on Fast as against interleaved.  Your connection has been stable for 9+days so again looks good.

can you run Btspeedtester and post the results as that may show something.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jambo_makaveli
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Is fast as against interleaving good?
From what I've posted can you say interleaving is indeed turned off?

Before I phoned tech support my ping was usually bang on 40 every test I done, now it's allover the place, and on pingtest im being given a grade c, as opposed to the usual grade a I was getting before. I will do a bt speedtest as soon as I'm home from work at 7pm. Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

yours stats show 'Fast' and that is the preferred status for games especially when a strong connection like yours.

btspeedtester may show something when you run and post tonight

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jambo_makaveli
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

here is my btspeedtester results as requested

my connection seems not to bad now, im just slightly worried about my ping, i always hear of people gaming with pings of 20-30, yet im always 40 -5, i was hoping interleaving would have lowered it, but it seems to have increased it. is 40-50 acceptable and will it give good performance?

again, thanks alot for all your help!

4.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

your stats and btspeedtester look ok.  you are on 'Fast' which the preferred setting for gamers especially if you have a good connection like yours.

0 Ratings
jambo_makaveli
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

i have done alot of speedtests and alot of pingtests last night and this morning, and have come to the conclusion that maybe i need to have interleaving switched back on.

the reason i say this is because.....

when im online gaming on the xbox 360 it works for a few mins then lags, then works for a few mins then lags and so on and so on.

and this corresponds with my various pingtest.net results.

i run it 5 times and 3 out of the 5 are perfect with grade A results, but 2 will always be grade C results with a lot off jitter!

does this sound about right?   interleaving being turned off hasnt really worked so i should get it turned back on?

thanx for any help !

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

your choice

to get interleaving turned on fil up the form  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

0 Ratings