Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sco0bz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

BT must be capping infinity at 25Mb/sec for download speeds

It's the only sensible explanation.

Many people on here are all having similar problems - they once had around 40Mb/s, now they get between 20-25Mb/s.

It seems no matter who you call, how many engineer callouts you have, what equipment gets replaced, what profile gets allegdly reset, what you post here, who you email, you can never ever get the 40Mb/s back.

I'm curious does anyone actually get the 40Mb/s?

I used to, I had it for months. Since all these problems it has never gone back to what it was - coincidence? I doubt it.

Has anyone ever managed to get their speed back up to 40Mb/s after having the drop out?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT must be capping infinity at 25Mb/sec for download speeds

@sco0bz wrote:

Many people on here are all having similar problems - they once had around 40Mb/s, now they get between 20-25Mb/s.

It seems no matter who you call, how many engineer callouts you have, what equipment gets replaced, what profile gets allegdly reset, what you post here, who you email, you can never ever get the 40Mb/s back.

I used to, I had it for months. Since all these problems it has never gone back to what it was - coincidence? I doubt it.

Has anyone ever managed to get their speed back up to 40Mb/s after having the drop out?

Hi scoObz. You are right that a lot of people on here are having similar problems as yourself, and I do feel for them when they have trouble getting the profile reset, but it is a forum and the normal posts on here are from people who are having problems of one sort or another.

What you are not seeing or hearing about are the vast majoprity of users who are having no trouble.

I am one (fingers crossed) who has had virtually constant 37.5Mb/s speeds ona IP profile of 38717 since the install over two weeks ago. Still running the same Openreach Modem.

One thing that does need to be sorted out is a faster and more efficient way of getting stuck profiles reset.

I hope that you get your problems sorted soon, because I wouldn't want to go through what some of you have had to go through when you have had troubles with the modem.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
kevin51
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

I don't think anyone gets a full 40 Mbit/sec download - 10 Mbit/sec upload speeds. Maybe at the cabinet, but not in the home once you allow for overheads. I believe 38717 kbps is the highest download profile possible on Infinity, which is what I'm on. Typical speedtests for me are around 37.5 Mbit/sec down and just over 8Mbit/sec up. Not had any modem problems or drops in my profile since joining Infinity in March. (touch wood it stays that way). Overall my service has been excellent.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Tillypup
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

I've had infinity just over a week now and had excellent speeds, around 37.5mb down and 8.2mb up, the engineer did say that I was the first in the cabinet to get it, so hope it doesn't drop as more get added.

My line profile also says 38717 down and 10000 up.

If only the HH3 did everything it's supposed to (port forwarding, wireless etc) then I'd be very happy. Have a working setup using the HH2 wireless, just can't access my NAS from outside the house.

0 Ratings
nodata
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Hey,

I did a speed test about 7 days after installation and my profile was 29992kbps. I had a power cut and my ip profile went down to 24465 then back up to 24505. I was annoyed that i've dropped nearly 5000kbps and I thought a reset was needed so I went through the steps on power cycling both modem and hub, now my ip profile is at 24477kbps. I've emailed BT India and there reply was:-

Digital Care

Thank you for your email dated 16th July, 2011 and it has been logged under the reference number <Deleted.

As I gather from the email, your BT Broadband is running very slowly. I understand how important it is for our customers to have a stable BT Broadband service along with all the other available services, apologize for the inconvenience caused and would definitely provide you all the relevant information.

I tried to contact you but unfortunately as I was unable to get through to you, I have recorded a voicemail on your phone and would request you to please check for that. I would request you to perform the basic troubleshooting steps mentioned in the link below which would definitely help you to resolve your issue.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13725/kw/improve%20fibre%20broadband%20speed/c/346,30...

If there’s anything else you’d like to know, please try our help pages online at www.bt.com/help. You can also see the various ways you can contact us if you do need further assistance. Many technical problems can be immediately fixed using our desktop help tool. This free tool helps you sort out most common broadband connection and email problems, keeping you connected when you need it most. You can download and start using it now by accessing www.bt.com/help/broadbanddesktophelp

Thank you for using BT Broadband Technical Helpdesk,

Alka Kumari Chourasia

This is **bleep**- just a generated response??

0 Ratings
sicknote00
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

@sco0bz wrote:

i think you will find most people dont get the full 40MB/s and never will

______________________________________________________________________________________

@kevin51 wrote:

I believe 38717 kbps is the highest download profile possible on Infinity

i dont belive that i have had this a few times but mostly 34MB/s

_______________________________________________________________________________________

@Tillypup wrote:

If only the HH3 did everything it's supposed to (port forwarding, wireless etc)

it does if you follow the help guide.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

@nodata wrote:

This is **bleep**- just a generated response??

yes it is 🙂 lol

Q. There is smoke coming out of my open reach box... so can I have a new one.
A. Sorry sir, The fault is showing at the exchange so your box should be ok.
BRING BACK UK CALL CENTRES!!!!!
0 Ratings