Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UrbanGrunt
Expert
Message 1 of 7

BT parental control driving me nuts

I keep getting the following message:

You're seeing this page because BT Parental Controls is active and you are attempting to connect to a DNS server outside of our network.
You may have selected a different server in your network settings or installed an application that uses an alternative service.

I have never used this service, I never plan to use this service and cannot for the life of me get this message to disapear.

I have changed my DNS to automatic, I have looked on bt my account and it simply says click here to sign up to bt parental controls, I have rebooted my router, i have rebooted my modem, I have rebooted my laptop and pc and the problem remans.

This has basically rendered my internet useless and I'm hopeful someone on here can figure out how I can sort this out, BT phone support are far from helpful so I have given up with them.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT parental control driving me nuts

I don't know if this will be of any help but it might be a good place to start.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46768/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzk2ODE0Mjc4L3NpZC80Qnp...

0 Ratings
UrbanGrunt
Expert
Message 3 of 7

Unable to find any of that as I havent even activated it. This is what I always get

Set up now to get parental controls on your home broadband.

• Helps keep your family safe from content that you don't want them to see.
  • One click activation that protects all devices in your home.
  • Select the filter level that best suits your family.
  • Customise your settings, including adding time filters and specific websites.

Thanks for the suggestion tho

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

In the absence of a better fix, it seems to me you probably have nothing to lose by going through the install, then following all the rermoval stages, which might solve the problem.

0 Ratings
UrbanGrunt
Expert
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for that suggestion, this actually did fix the issue.

What is worrying me though, why on earth did this happen!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

I think BT are enabling them by default, but only on the lowest setting. Most people are not going to notice, but those that do, would need to log into MyBT, and "un-install" the network based settings on the server.

I think the idea behind it, its to show that BT are being proactive in protecting children from unsuitable content.

DNS protection ensures that the controls cannot be circumvented by altering your DNS settings.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Glad it helped you 🙂

0 Ratings