cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 26

BT please give me a straight answer.

Following the announcement of price increases from January 14, I understand that if you feel charges are to your detriment as in the BT terms and conditions, you may leave an existing contract early. I am contracted into BT Infinity until November 14.

I have not yet received a personal letter but I believe my broadband charges are increasing according to this link, from £26 to £27.67.

I have emailed BT and got an automated response which wasn't very helpful. I have contacted them by Chat but that wasn't working correctly and they attempted to ring my landline. No offense, but I want this in writing. 

All I want is a straight answer, can I leave my contract without penalty or not?

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 26

Re: BT please give me a straight answer.

it is in writing here:

http://www.bt.com/static/wa/account/pricechanges/vision.html?s_cid=con_FURL_pricechanges

As long as you are affected by the price increase

toekneem

(EASBF)

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 26

To quote from that page:

If, as a result of these price changes or changes to terms, you decide to terminate your affected service(s), you may do so without incurring the Early Termination Charge(s) that may otherwise be payable. If you wish to exercise this right you must contact us within 10 days of receiving the notification sent to you personally. You will still be liable to service charges up to the date of termination.

If you haven't personally been advised of the change, you can't cancel yet.

See also the BT Terms and Conditions http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentF... paragraphs 51 to 54 for more detail.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 26

Thank you both. That is not what the CS operator told me on the bit of chat I managed to get last might before the connection went awry. 

So, I just need to wait for the letter/email even though I know I'm affected, and the postman's already been today. Shame, as I could get £70 cashback if I moved to Plusnet before Monday Robot Frustrated

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 26

Do make sure that you check your @btintenet address and its spam folder for the email.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 26

Already checked. Although it would be ironic if is was in the @BTinternet.com spam folder Smiley Tongue

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 26

I've just come off the phone to BT. I explained that I understood my broadband charges were to increase from January 14 and that I could leave my contract early if this was the case. The guy checked and said the charges for Infinity were not increasing, only line rental. I told him that was not what the the price changes link was telling me, he said, that it was incorrect. Now I don't know what to believe Smiley Mad

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 26

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 26

"Unlimited Infinity 2 will increase from £21 to £22.35." So that indicates Infinity is going up. I'll get back on the phone later. Thank you gg30340.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 26

But that's in contradiction to the details given on the "check your increase" link.

Most peoples infinity 2 unlimited is sold at £26 per month is it not?

Just seems another example of BT's confusing marketing.
0 Ratings