cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

BT please reconsider your Youview+ box offering as signal reception is not up to scratch!

Go to solution

I have now been a bit more than a month on BT and it is unbeliavable what I have had to go through to get the Youview+ box to have a decent signal on COM7 (BBC NEWS HD BBC4 HD 4SevenHD etc)

I was a sky user and I have a trax distribution box installed. With the aerial plugged into the distribution box I have been happily distributing Freeview+Sky with the RF modulator without problem using the return loop.

With the youview+ box the signal was just to weak coming out of the RF passthrough and the box itself would pixelate occasionally on all HD channels and loose signal on the COM7 broadcasts.

So I had to go out and get a masthead amplifier, changed the aerial to a period to eliminate inteference and get a distibution box specific to freeview. I also had to eliminate the loop through and finally connect the Youview+ to the 18 dB full power out ot the distribution box whilst the other 5 outputs are on the +6 dB

Neverthless whilst all my other 5 TVs have 100% quality and strength the Youview+ still reports 82% on BBC News HD and yesterday as I was watching hinterland on BBC4 HD I got two episodes of pixelation that do not occur anywhere else in the other 5 TVs

It may be true that the Youview+ has a twin tuner and is signal hungry but it just seems to be a very very bad job at picking up any interference that no other Tv receiver picks up and get occasional glitches.

Please BT push your supplier harder and get a box with a decent tuner as I am not expecting to have pixelation with a piece of equipment that costs £150 whilst a cheap Tv inbuilt tuner does just fine

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Dave93
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT please reconsider your Youview+ box offering as signal reception is not up to scratch!

Go to solution

I had a similar problem that turned out to be interference from a 4g mast nearby. I was getting intermittent pixellation and loss of signal on BBC HD channels. Check on the AT800 website  https://at800.tv/  I put my postcode in and they confirmed that a 4G mast was nearby and sent me a Ch 59 filter (for free) which has sorted the problem.  My G4 type box reports 74% signal strength and 100% quality. Hope this helps.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Re: BT please reconsider your Youview+ box offering as signal reception is not up to scratch!

Go to solution

hi Dave thanks for your interest

Both my masthead and distribution amplified have a 4G filter!

0 Ratings
Caher
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Engineer came out Saturday just gone. New box. BBC HD working as he left. Gone today. If I switch to the  TV tuner no issues. Never got this with Sky or Virgin.j

0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

@Caher wrote:

Engineer came out Saturday just gone. New box. BBC HD working as he left. Gone today. If I switch to the  TV tuner no issues. Never got this with Sky or Virgin.j

Well, Sky is Satellite and Virgin uses Cable. They are all different technologies. A lot of people have problems receiving satellite signals when there are large trees nearby or really bad weather...never got that with Freeview on BT.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution
there are pro and cons with each system but the youview+ box deon Humax seems to be talented at picking up interference compared to any other freeview device. It also requires a level of signal that no other device needs. In my case +12 dB gain compared to the other sets that if connected to the same signal will black out for signal too strong
0 Ratings