cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WilliamJordan
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

BT randomly disconnected phone line and much more!

7 July 2011:

Good old BT randomly patched an incorrect number to our port in the exchange, which as a result, disabled our business broadband.

We ONLY have the line concerned as we require it in order to have the broadband facility (not provided by BT, thankfully!), so this line is NEVER used for anything else. In fact, it does not have a phone connected to it.

Now here’s the real issue …

We host our own websites and of course associated email servers on static IP addresses provided by our business ISP. As a result of this very clever move by BT, we are left without websites and emails.

Due to appalling service from BT, associated with high costs in the past, we now use IP Phones and they are down too as a result, so this is a double whammy ... no emails and no phone lines, which leaves no means for our customers to get in touch with us.

Most of our business comes from the Middle-East, who are on totally different time zones and also do not take ‘weekends’ when we in the UK normally do. Staying connected EVEN OVER WEEKENDS is crucial.

Below is a summary of events so far. No doubt, we are keeping receipts of all our expenses to resolve this and will also be taking BT to court for time we have had to spend to move domain names and email servers not to mention the time we sill have to spend ,moving it all back once BT have finally sorted themselves out). We are also considering making a case for loss of earnings as a result …

7 July 2011:

-      16:00:

• We discovered that our Broadband was not functioning

-      17:15:

• Contacted our Broadband Provider and simple test revealed that the Phone Line our Broadband Router was connected to, was not the number our Broadband Provider have on their system, hence the Broadband fault
  • Dialled 17070 to check the number and the system reported that the number I was calling from was ********* (NOT our number!)
  • Dialling ********** only resulted in a message saying ‘The number you have dialled has not been recognised. Please check and tray again’
  • Dialling the correct number only resulted in perceived ringing, however the number did not ring on the handset (temporarily and for the purpose of the test) connected to that phone socket

-      18:05:

• Raised the fault with BT and spoke to Mahesweri, who was very helpful, however …
  • Mahesweri said it would take 3 ‘business days’ to repair the fault
  • I explained that our IP phones and websites are down as a result of no Broadband that relies on this line being repaired
  • Mahesweri then offered to escalate that fault and said it would be repaired within 24 hours
  • She also said she would call me at 16:00 to see if the fault has been addressed
  • Fault No.: VOL011-*******5766

-      18:25:

• Raised the fault with BT again as we were not certain that she could beack up her intentions (seeing as she confirmed the Call Centre she works at is based in Chennai, India) and was told the same as before
  • It turns out these Call Centres are so far removed from the problem that they become the problem!
  • The same fault number was given

8 July 2011:

-      No phone call was received from Mahesweri or anybody else from BT

-      The line is now dead, with no dial tone or Broadband Signal, so clearly someone has done something somewhere, but not done much to rectify the fault

-      Purchased website hosting space from a hosting company

-      We spent ALL day uploading websites and to moving domains and DNS Servers to newly purchased hosting space

-      Websites & Email Servers off-line all day as a result of these events

9 July 2011:

-      Still no dial tone or ADSL signal on the line. Dialling our number now only results in a faulty tone

-      Websites and Email Servers still off-line. Waiting for domain names to propagate across. Typically this takes around 3 days!

Good old incompetent BT!

Now, this is for one of our home offices and the Business Broadband runs on a residential line (which has already been used as a get-out clause by BT, by saying if this was a Business Line …)

The fact remains, it’s a line provided by BT (and if we had a choice …!) and we thought it’s ONLY a phone line … surely no-one could mess that up too much!?

Oh, and just for the record ... the BT fault finder indicates that the fault IS in the BT exchange.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: Good old incompetent BT!

There are reasons why there are residential lines and business lines. You are running a busuness broadband service on a residentrial telephone line.

If its different service levels you need to ensure that your residential line is sorted out quicker for your business broadband , maybe you should contemplate a business telephone line.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
WilliamJordan
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

I alread begrudge the fact that I have to pay BT for a phone line.

There was absolutely no reason for them to cross the lines and just exactly why should I have to pay more for their incompetence?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 9

Hi. surely you can transfer the line to where you want, buuuuuut at the end of the day the same engineers are still doing the work on it.

Also if you are reliant on the line for your business broadband, a business telephone line would I imagine give you different levels of service to a residential line.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
WilliamJordan
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

I know that and you have not exactly mentioned anything I'm not aware of ... in fact, what exactly is your point?

None of what you have said actually addressed any of the issues mentioned ... apart from the line upgrade, whic is ONLY one of the issues!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 9

Hey steady don't have a go at toekneem he is just a BT Customer the same as you just trying to help.

I am sure BT did not deliberately give you someonelses line having seen all the wires in a telephone exchange once.

It is going to be down to human error and as you say that have located the problem in the exchange.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
WilliamJordan
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

The line swap is ony one of the issues, which led to a number of others ...

What about the Call Centre IN INDIA, that just gave me lip service and promised to escalate the issue so that it does not take 3 BUSINESS days (which, by the way, translates to 5 days as quite a few of our customers in the Middle-East who do not care about so-called weekends in the UK).

The Call Centre staff also promised to call back to see if the issue has been resolved ... and no (petrhaps not surprising), no-one called. Oh, and they took checked my mobile number ...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 9

goodbye and good luck with your questSmiley Tongue

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 9 of 9

Re: BT randomly disconnected phone line and much more!

Hi WilliamJordan,

Thanks for the post and welcome to the forum.  I am so sorry to hear of the problems you are having.  I would like to look into this for you.

Please drop me an email via the 'Contact Us' link in my profile. (click on my name and you will find the link under the "about me" section). Include your BT account details and the link to this thread.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings