cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tellboy
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 8

BT recording and passing on details of websites visited?

I have just been browsing BT's Code of Practice and came across this:

http://www.btplc.com/Thegroup/RegulatoryandPublicaffairs/Codeofpractice/Consumercodeofpractice/BTRes...

Collect information about the websites you visit while you’re browsing the internet. We may share this information with others to allow them to display advertising on websites you visit. Before doing this, we’d ask for your permission and we’d give you more information in our Privacy policy at bt.com. If you visit our website at bt.com, we tell you about the cookies we want to use and collect your consent to do this.

Does anyone know if we have given our permission for this activity by default in the Terms and Conditions somewhere.

I remember BT's alliance with a Spyware company called Phorm some time ago and thought it had died a death. Perhaps not?

Does clicking the Cookie Notice allow them to do this?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT recording and passing on details of websites visited?

Here is a link to BT Terms and Conditions to look through

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentF...

see this link about privacy and use of cookies

http://www2.bt.com/btPortal/application?pageid=pan_privacy_policy&siteArea=pan&s_cid=pan_FURL_privac...

Once you have ploughed through it let us know the answer!

0 Ratings
tellboy
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

@gg30340 wrote:

Once you have ploughed through it let us know the answer!

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

No click, I'm afraid it did not help me

0 Ratings
tellboy
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 8

It seems you have to opt out of BT recording all the websites you visit and passing on your details to other companies.

If you remove cookies on a regular basis you will revert to BT's default which is to pass on your details and you will have to go through the process of opting out again.

It should really be the other way around with you having to Opt in.

This was one of the major points of dispute in the Phorm fiasco.

0 Ratings
dunk
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

You could  get-do not track PC programme-along with mask me.adblock plus. I am not being tracked on this website as I type. There are a lot more. TOR for example. But remember as of June 3 yahoos new web email site admits it looks at all emails and incoming ones . It says its for commercial reasons But they are making it easier for the NSA.to track you. I didnt know BT did it as well though? It would mean our own spymasters are watching you. But you cant stop that even if BT didnt track you. They can and will if needed. -Watch out for Key words.

0 Ratings
duncan10
Expert
Message 6 of 8

I would just like to add . As you all know from the news in a certain UK newspaper -on the internet news channels and other places .The secret is out We are ALL being watched by powerful government computers both here and in the US.  I knew that years ago but now its official--Snowdon- All your passwords can be cracked. All ISPs have been told to Quote=Leave an backdoor opening for GCHQ/ NSA . this is forced on them  they have no choice. So dont blame BT all the others -Yahoo/ google/ and even MS have been forced to comply. You can use multable  encription but it just means they crack it by "brute Force" As has been said long ago the internet is not a place of privacy. I dont mind but I know it will bother some people. You could try foreign browsers but MS has blocked Yandex the Russian one via the "trusted installer" so I use Chrome. -This is now all public knowlege.      

0 Ratings
tellboy
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 8

@duncan10 wrote:

I would just like to add . As you all know from the news in a certain UK newspaper -on the internet news channels and other places .The secret is out We are ALL being watched by powerful government computers both here and in the US.  I knew that years ago but now its official--Snowdon- All your passwords can be cracked. All ISPs have been told to Quote=Leave an backdoor opening for GCHQ/ NSA . this is forced on them  they have no choice. So dont blame BT all the others -Yahoo/ google/ and even MS have been forced to comply. You can use multable  encription but it just means they crack it by "brute Force" As has been said long ago the internet is not a place of privacy. I dont mind but I know it will bother some people. You could try foreign browsers but MS has blocked Yandex the Russian one via the "trusted installer" so I use Chrome. -This is now all public knowlege.      

I'm not concerned about this, there is nothing you can do really only vote but as all governments are doing it your vote stands for nothing.

Our Government (UK) has recently said BT should not have bought their equipment for interfacing the Internet from Chinese companies.

What I do think is wrong is BT spying on our Internet surfing, correlating all our data (whether personnel or not) and selling it to the highest bidder. We do not know whether they give out personnel data we only have their word for it.

You would certainly get more money if your name and address was part of the package.

Barclays Bank has started doing the same with your data. They are correlating it and selling it to the highest bidder. Again they say no personnel data but who is checking, Barclays Bank.

In Barclays case they have issued new T's & C's to their customers and hidden it away in the small print. The leaflet they issued highlighting the main changes to the T's & C's did not identify this as being relevant to their customers.

BT were caught out once in the Phorm fiasco and backed off but I would not be surprised if they are now trying again.

It shows how much money this data is worth.

0 Ratings
duncan10
Expert
Message 8 of 8

I realise "where you are coming from" but Yahoo has now been forced to admit their new email site[NOT BT yahoo] that they watch ALL email and those that email you and use it for commercial reasons but it also makes it easier for GCHQ/NSA to watch too. Some of those transferring to yahhoo don't realise this is BT a private company and it certainly more "caring" than many US companies. Just look at complaints in US websites. I have come to a psychological  position of -You cant beat the "big guys"[governments] so no  point in getting upset about it it just wastes emotion. What I think you are complaining about is the Moral "high ground" thats gone in this World. You can only comment about it. Even then telling the truth isnt allowed on some newswebsites gets you barred. Life isnt what it was like 50Yrs ago people and countries change. This is the "new" reality.

0 Ratings