Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 27

Re: BT's 2013 Price Increases - Right to Cancel

@Yogibear59 wrote:

Don't listen to the hype from BT because in law you have the right to cancel at anytime up until the increases take effect you are not confined to the 10 day notice at all, and dont forget that unfair terms and conditions that favour bt over its customers can be challenged in court.

Can you back that up by quoting to the law which overrides the T&C?

Mobile phone companies are currently trying to apply price increases to fixed-price contracts with no right at all to cancel; there are challenges but the increases are still going ahead. Your superior legal knowledge might be useful there.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 27

I would like to know why BT are sending notices out months before the due date, then giving customers 10 days to cancel FROM the date of the email.

It takes away the option of using the service for almost another quarter.
0 Ratings
geo1986
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 27

Surely telling you sooner is better? 02 gave me 4 weeks notice and no right to cancel when my bill went up
0 Ratings
WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 27

Neither here nor there, is it. Explain the 10 days notice to cancel if you can, what's that about.

0 Ratings
geo1986
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 27

A 10 days notice period is a period of 10 days from when you've been told your prices will rise allowing you to cancel?
0 Ratings
WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 27

But the price was not due to rise in 10 days last September 2012.
0 Ratings
geo1986
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 27

I dont get your point, BT told you in September your prices were going to go up in January, and if you weren't happy with that you were free to cancel in 10 days.

Would you have preferred to be told near the end of December your prices were going up in 2 weeks? I don't get the problem with having more notice rather than less, there doesnt seem to be a disadvantage.

WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 27

I dont get your point

The point is, why should you have to leave months before the rise was due, it doesn't make any sense to me. 

Would you have preferred to be told near the end of December your prices were going up in 2 weeks?

6 of 1 half doz of another, makes no difference to me. 

0 Ratings
geo1986
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 27

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 27

Like it or not, good or bad, it's in line with the T&C. This from para 52 of the Residential Standard Terms:

if we let you know about a change to the price or the terms and conditions of a service which is to your material disadvantage, you will not have to pay a charge if you decide to end that service early, unless the Tariff Guide says otherwise. However, once we have told you about such a change, using one of the methods detailed in paragraph 50, you must let us know within 10 days that you want to end that service by giving us the written notice set out in paragraph 21.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.