cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

BT's internal complaints procedure - does it actually exist?

Has anyone ever seen an actual copy of this so-called internal complaints procedure? Companies are supposed to send one when requested by customers, but I suppose BT is above such regulations. We wrote and asked for one nine months ago... silence. Has anyone ever actually seen this fabled object?? ...Can't find it anywhere on Google and a BT link mentioning 'complaints precedure' had been removed.

...Just asking. Wouldn't want customers to actually find out the proper procedure for complaints, after all. Might cause BT to take complaints seriously... and we can't have that.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
frustration
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT's internal complaints procedure - does it actually exist?

Ofcom and OTELO have useful info on their websites.
0 Ratings
caerdydd
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

0 Ratings
Highlighted
SilverWanderer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Thank you caerdydd for giving the link to BT complaints procedure. Now we know why BT staff do not have to deal with a complaint QUICKLY.
We have to wait 8 weeks before referring to an independant body.
There is nothing in their Code that says that someone making statements has to identify himself so there is no way of punishing staff making false statemnts.
My daughter was phoned by someone who said her expensive driveway was going to be dug up the next day. That lie caused her great distress. She had to lose a days work to stay on guard. I tried to find if the police would respond to a 999 call if we discovered BT causing damage.
It was all a pack of lies but the caller was anonymous and still works for BT. I suspect they do not have driveways in his country.

The code says
"If you are still not happy
We want to try and deal with any problem without you needing help from others. However, if you are still not happy after following the process explained above and you have received a deadlock letter or it has been eight weeks since your first complaint was made, you can refer your complaint to the Telecommunications Ombudsman, Otelo."
0 Ratings
caerdydd
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

BT Openreach or their contractors don't dig up a customer's driveway or on their land before a permission to dig form had been signed.

0 Ratings
SilverWanderer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

"BT Openreach or their contractors don't dig up a customer's driveway or on their land before a permission to dig form had been signed."

But there is no way of identifying the member of staff that made this statement. I witnessed the phone call and know the distress he caused her.

They can say anything on the phone without fear of a reprimand because there is no ID the aggreived customer can quote.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Exactly. All you get is a first name, which means nothing. Why not ask for an ein number (employee identification)? Otherwise they can do and say whatever they like, then deny it.

We found the code of practice shortly after I began this thread (we last looked in February when we first complained, and the page had been removed). But a code of practice is not an internal complaints procedure - which tells you which steps you need to have completed during the course of a complaint. As we never received any reply for over 3 months, we never actually found out how our complaint was supposed to progress!

Judging from earlier posts, this is where Otelo comes in useful. You complain, BT ignores you, then after 8 weeks you can go to Otelo. Perhaps this is their complaints procedure. We were looking for what Otelo calls a 'deadlock' letter, but as there had never been any communication, we never got one!

As for the code of practice, has anyone noticed that it gives you the same old numbers for the same old call centres in India? 0800 800 150. There's no way out of this, no one you can actually speak to...

I've noticed that some people end up resorting to Youtube out of sheer frustration, and I'm seriously thinking of putting one recording on there.

0 Ratings
bri21
Message 8 of 8

Having just changed my bank my new bank said first (and I summarize a wee bit) "BT are s**t. We'll take care of transferring all your Direct Debits from the old bank. The process is seamless and you don't need to do anything at all." Oh how I wish that was so ...... All the DDs transferred seamlessly except BT. All the others took their payments from the new bank on the correct dates. Except BT - they tried twice to collect a DD from the old bank because they'd not adjusted their accounts data. In agreeing to take payment by DD they entered into a contract. BT fcuked up the process. THEY BROKE A LEGALLY BINDING CONTRACT. Apologies for shouting. BT does strange things to people.

Then I started getting threatening phone calls and letters. I spoke to the bank and BT. I'#d thought the issue resolved. Then another series of calls and letters arrived. Threatening disconnection and much else. I had to resort to my GP and emergency heart meds. And make an effort to minimise the stress and the chest pain. So once again I went to see the bank. Who took over and spoke again to BT. But I won't be holding my breath - although the thought of holding BT's throat appeals. But I have to consider the stress that might cause to me. Bu**er them.

However ... there may be another way. Forget Ofcomm or whatever - civil servants and their ilk are usually a waste of the air they breathe. A DIY approach can give more satisfaction. First send a measured complaint in writing, and with it an invoice for "adminstration costs". This can contain a punitive element for the pain and stress caused by BT breaking their contract. Tell BT that a refusal to pay up will result in a writ from the Small Claims Court.

They can avoid replying to me, to you, to any of their customers - but they ignore the Courts at their peril. Have done that before with smaller fry. BT are much larger. And have further to fall. But one thing is the same ... BT broke a legally binding contract. End of ...

I'm seriously considering this course. And it'll cost BT serious dosh to defend. If I lose they cannot claim their costs in the Small Claims Court (unless a judge rules a claim frivolous). So it's heads I win, tails BT lose!

And to end with some good news ....

I've been with BT for broadband for well over 5 years. My current contract ends in May 2011. Then it'll be "Goodbye BT ..... Hello to someone else."

0 Ratings