Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

BT says 5 Mb/s, speed tests 0.32 Mbs

Go to solution

My Broadband speed has been suspect for a long time and my wife is in dispair; this weekend it was all but unusable even for basic web browsing.  I have followed all the BT guidance and with my MacBook connected by ethernet to my Home Hub 2.0 with wireless turned off (and using the master BT socket with filter) I seem to get a vastly different speed than the BT speed test indicates (5 vs 0.320 Mb/s).  I accept that there may be a drop off at busy times but 0.32 seems extreme.  Should I replace the Home Hub with a non BT variant or is there something else I can try first.

Current stats from the router:

ASDL line status.png

Any help very gratefully received.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT says 5 Mb/s, speed tests 0.32 Mbs

Go to solution

Please can you provide full BT Speedtester results. Thanks

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

BT Speedtester results:

Speed Test Result.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution
hi you have a low IP Profile caused by a lot of hub disconnections providing you maintain 3/5days stable connection of your hub then your IP Profile will rise automatically as will your download speed your IP Profile should rise to around 4.5mb if you post back your results in 5 days time if you need further help we can take it from there
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Thank you for the advice.

Can you please explain the difference between the speed test pass range (0.05-0.5) and the expected max speed (4.5)?

I assume that if my IP Profile does not start to rise then I have a problem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

your hub is connecting to the exchange at 5.1mb your IP prifile  is set by your connection speed and is in your case 4.5mb and your download speed will be between 0 and 4.5mb this link explains about IP Profiles http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

My IP Profile is remaining at 0.35, surely I should have seen some increase after 3 days?  I have a BT Engineering calling on Wednesday to investigate a fault I had with the phone line last week; is there anything I should be directing him to look at?

Current stats:

Speedtester 4.png

Router 2.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Yes I would have expected increase too, however you mention a phone fault, this almost without doubt will mess with your broadband. Its likely your broadband will recover once phone line is fixed. As for direction anywhere between the exchange and you! For clarity I would keep your broadband issue secondary to your phone issue with the engineer visit.

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick response.  My phone line actually went completely dead last week. I removed the plastic covering that shields the phone line where it enters the house (wanted to check it wasn't full of rain water!).  Nothing obvious with the cabling but in moving the wires the phone line came back!  Interestingly, when the phone line was dead the BB was still working, albeit at this reduced speed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution
you need to get the phone problem fixed first then the broadband problem can be looked into again as you will need to restart the 3+days stable connection again