cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
beardymouse
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

BT sending debt collectors - I've never even been a BT customer!

I have received correspondence from a debt collection agency called ‘CCS’ with regards to a BT account I allegedly have. I have no account with BT, and for the two years I've been where I am, I've always used Virgin Media.

I am hurt and upset by getting demands for hundreds of pounds from a debt collection agency for a debt I do not owe. I am more frustrated that I have to waste my time at such a busy time of the year writing letters to companies who create phantom accounts and phantom debts, then drop a thuggish, bullying company round to people to try and make them pay money they do not owe. Times are hard for all of us, but having a monopoly on the vast majority of the country’s telecommunications system must put BT in a decent position to still make obscene profits without the need to create lies and try to threaten people into handing over vast sums of cash to them.

Where do BT get off thinking they can treat people like this? Why do they think I will pay this? How many poor and vulnerable people do they do this to? Is this going to have to go to court before it gets sorted, or will BT call off their dogs before?

Probably not a great forum post, just want anyone searching Google to be able to know this is what BT do to people.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT sending debt collectors - I've never even been a BT customer!

Hi Beardymouse,

Thanks for the post and welcome to the forum.  I am sorry you have been contacted by a debt collection agency.  I appreciate your frustration.  I can sort this out for you.

Can you please drop me an email to the email address in my profile, include any reference numbers you have in relation to this BT account, your full address and the link to this post.  I will check from my end to see what the mix up is.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
k00k
Message 3 of 11

First of all, thanks to beardymouse. I found his complaint via Google. I have been contacted by exactly the same company and I am certain I am not in debt to BT. You would have thought - like any other company whom you are alleged to be in debt to - BT themselves would contact the individual/business concerned in the first instance rather than immediately refer an alleged debt to a collector? I am not calling the 0871 number listed on the debt collectors letter (expensive during the day) and attempting to contact BT for anything other than a straight-forward update is frustrating and long winded. Is there a dedicated number within BT to call to resolve this? I am certain I will not be the last to be affected by this problem. For the benefit of search engines, the debt collector acting on behalf of BT are called Clanchatton Birmingham Ltd.. They also appear to trade under Commercial Credit Services and CCSG.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Hello K00k

Welcome to the forums, I can have this investigated for you.

Send me an email to the email address in my profile. Please remember to include your BT account number, telephone number and a link to this thread.

Cheers

Stuart

0 Ratings
HotRod
Message 5 of 11

First of all, thanks to beardymouse. I found his complaint via Google.

I have been contacted by SRJ and I am certain I am not in debt to BT, in fact the debt company have a different postcode. Is there a dedicated number within BT to call to resolve this? I am certain I will not be the last to be affected by this problem. For the benefit of search engines, the debt collector acting on behalf of BT are called SRJ Debt Recoveries Limited.

0 Ratings
Neenz
Message 6 of 11

WHY are CCS pestering me for a 'late payment' charge?

I had a letter from CCS about an outstanding amount I didnt know about (another issue with BT) as soon as I was aware of it I paid it but now CCS are getting heavy handed with me and want money for late payment and say that if I dont pay within 24 hours it will go from £47 to £132, what sort of behaviour is this? I dont know how I can get a response from anyone and I dont even know if CCS are a proper company or a scam because in my complaint to BT a few days ago they didnt refer to them atall.  Can someone please help me??

UPDATE: I have had the issue resolved by BT and was advised not to pay any monies to CCS as there was no outstanding amount with BT.

0 Ratings
Csamuel
Message 7 of 11

Sometimes it isnt the debt collectors fault......but BT

i recieved a letter form a company saying i owed BT money after weeks of waitng for proof i finally had the bill in my hands

to my shook ...it was for an adress in which i never had BT , to make matters worse the agency that i rented the room from at the time was with Virgin media ( super fast braod band etc blah) and my rent was incl of that . when i explained to a BT advisor that i had never requested BT asked for BT or cancelled it his response was "well why did you pay a previous bill" now i already know my bank statements which i have asked for dating back to 2009 ( oh yeah thats when this is from) will sure i doidnt not set up a direct debit on those dates , of course the advisor said that BT dont keep direct debit records ( which seems odd) anyway my advice .....DO NOT trust BT if u can have a diffrent line with a diffrent comapny ( you all know which one) then do so because as far as customer service goes it is the worst i have come across ( and im still young)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 11

Unfortunately I was also young whilst I was waiting for that OTHER company to give me a cable line.

I am now old and still waiting.

Whilst BT , gave my parents a line, myself a line, and my daughter a line. No problem

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
thevirus
Message 9 of 11

I've never been a BT customer but I got a letter from SRJ to say I'm some £900 in debt to BT from an address I've never heard of.

Perhaps the incompetant morons who work for BT have messed up.

I don't even have a BT phone and never have done. My line rental doesn't even go though BT.

What's their game? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Hi did you ever think it may be the Debt Collection Agency has made a mistake just as possible as BT making one