Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nirvana316
Contributor
Message 21 of 23

Re: BT speed far less than promised Atten: NeilO

This is what I have in my attic.

So the black cable comes in from an outside pole. It reaches this junction box then splits into two extension sockets. One is unused and the other is in my bedroom.

(1) could this setup be the reason I am getting lower speed than I should (10 to 20 mbps from an infinity 2 connection and phone line rated at 40 mbps)

(2) If I asked for a BT engineer to come would he fix this? would i get charged

Craig

0 Ratings
Jayebmx
Contributor
Message 22 of 23

Hi Craig,

If you can get a pack of jelly crimps, they are normally quite cheap and can be found online. What the engineer will do is jelly crimp the external cable to the internal wiring to the socket, so if you can identify the correct wire, (hopefully by colour, as one looks older than the other) i'd personally go with the white cable as it looks like a 3 pair or 4 pair cable, and then follow the pattern they are connected to and jelly crimp the correct cables together.
Im pretty sure openreach will charge you for that as it looks like a problem with the internal wiring and assuming not their equipment.

-Jaye.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 23

Just simply disconnect the wires that go to the unused extension as stated previously, the 2 cables are different colour sheathing so should be obvious which one goes where.

0 Ratings