Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yessuz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

BT started Throttling P2P again?

I'm on BT infinity. totally unlimited.

noticed, that for few weeks now, as soon as I start any torrent client - my connection starts to interrupt.

basically, my pings start to to loss, etc. impossible to browse.

Now, as soon I disconnect torrent client - everything stops.

question is: is it BT, who started to throttle p2p or should I lookfor the fault in my local network (i.e. my router)

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
pippincp
Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT started Throttling P2P again?

Check your torrent client settings. Sounds like you have upload set too high.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

you need to check elswhere as BT are not throttling torrents - you can try glasnost test

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Your torrent client is using up all your bandwidth, especially the upstream, which is stopping DNS and webpage requests.

0 Ratings
yessuz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

well, I ping IPs

this has nothing to do with the dns requests.

however, yeah, i'll try to limit connections.. to see how it goes 🙂

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 6 of 6

@yessuz wrote:

well, I ping IPs

this has nothing to do with the dns requests.

however, yeah, i'll try to limit connections.. to see how it goes 🙂

Keith was just explaining the effects of an incorrectly configured torrent cliet, not trying to educate you.

The Maximum you should allow your torrent client to use is 80% of your available upload speed. Personally I would further reduce it by 10Kbps.

"If your torrent client is allow"ed to use your full download limit then there is no room for any extra overheads such as ACKs, without the ability for an ACK to be sent then you will receive nothing back and enter into an endless loop of the server waiting for an ACK and the client not being able to send one as all your upload bandwidth is being used - result:- nothing more happens, you've locked yourself out.

The beauty of the torrent client is that the ultimate file you want is split into many pieces and shared between many people. If you cannot send an ACK to say you've recieved the piece you will not get another one."

The bit in inverted commas is from an old time torrenter from when it was first implemented and meant to be educatioinal from a torrentor from the beginning.

0 Ratings