cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Diean
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 20

BT totally refuses to give help.

Today I have phoned BT tech support on a number of occassions trying to get my speed improved.  On five of the occassions I have been told that BT will not do anything until the 29th of this month after the migration from 8Mb to 20Mb has been done.  Then after speaking to a site manager, who handed the case over to a specific department and having spent time with someone from that department and porving a number of tests, I was told by him that he would get back to me in an hour.  I get a call from someone different from that department and got told, "as you have got an ongoing case open with the Ombudsmen then there is nothing that we can do", I reply " but the case that is open with the Ombudsmen is different to the issue that I am currently trying to get sorted", I get told "we have been told by the higher complaints team that we can't help you while there is an open case with the Ombudsmen".  So in effect, BT are saying if you have a case that is with the Ombudsmen, that is six months old and the issues that are relevent to that case have since been closed by BT, then you cant report and get help for until that case with the Ombudsmen is closed.  Even contacting Ian Livingston has been next to useless, as all he does is pass it down the line.

I feel that everyone should be made aware of this in this forum.

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
raymie67
Expert
Message 2 of 20

Re: BT totally refuses to give help.

I suspect that a lot if not most of the forum are already aware of this type of issue with BT.

If you post your adsl stats and results from a BT speedtester run however perhaps we can help the speed issue

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Diean
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 20

Here are the results:  Please note that I was asked to plug the HH into the test socket, thats why the up time is short.

Results Image not loaded

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 1152 Kbps

0 Kbps2000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1152 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :1824 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 1250 Kbps

ADSL line status

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 1:54:44
Downstream1,824 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeFast
Noise margin (Down/Up)12.2 dB / 20.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)58.0 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)16.5 dBm / 12.1 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)22
Loss of Signal (Local)2
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)34 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local)209

Thanks

0 Ratings
raymie67
Expert
Message 4 of 20

Ok you have a 1.8mbs connection that seems to be showing fairly normal.

The main thing to note is that the noise margin is high at 12db, the normal target default is 6db and so this may have been bumped up by a line issue or a router problem (lots of resyncs in a short period). I would think you are losing at least 1mbs of speed because of the margin if the defaut is 12.

What speed did you normally get?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Diean
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 20

Normally get a sync of 2368 and an IP Profile of 2000.  The HH is on 24/7 and I don't usually see a lot of resyncing of the Hub.

0 Ratings
raymie67
Expert
Message 6 of 20

gotta go for a while so in the meantime when you reply, if 1.8 is a lot slower than your normal speed then you need to contact the mods at http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951. They may be willing to askwholesale to reset your target margin down to 6db which would give you the remaining 6db as extra speed in effect.

However if your exchange is being upgraded currently and your line is in a new training period then this request even if actioned may be ignored by the DLM software (that happened to me recently) and so you would need to wait and get the mods to try it again a few weeks later.

The mods should reply initially around 3 days after you contact them.

0 Ratings
Diean
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 20

I could contact the mods, but by the time they get around to answer, the migration would have happened and I will probably be facing a whole new lot of problems.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 20

Hi looking at your hub stats your line should support approx on a perfect line 2.9mb your noise margin is a little high at 12.2 normal default is 6 that would certainly bring your connection speed up to over 2mb also increasing your ip profile and throughput speed
0 Ratings
Diean
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 20

I know what my line is able to achive, but BT have their own rating for the line, which I believe is based on the average for the local area and not based per line.  I have in the past had better speeds.  Yet over the past year the rating for the line has gone down by 50% according to BT.  Mind you when I was sold broadband by BT I was told that i would be getting 4-5Mb.  But the best IP Profile has been 2000, even when I have had a sync speed of 2.8Mb.  Been emailed to say that they are migrating over to 20Mb service on the 29th, but have been told that I and everyone else in the village would not see any improvement.  But as usual, BT will still expect me to pay the same for the service as someone who is getting 17Mb download speeds.  Before you all start saying it's not the speed that I am paying for, just think on the lines that if you are on an unlimited package and can only get say a download speed of 1.7Mb and someone else is getting a download speed of 17Mb then the unlimited package becomes limited by the speed of your broadband.  What I am trying to say, is that why should I be paying the same price for a service that is being restricted by the way in which the service is being supplied.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 20

your point is why all ISPs sell the service as up to 20mb however OFCOM are looking into your point about charging based on distance from exchange and achievable speed but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an answer and even longer a change.

Do you also complain when posting a letter that the same stamp will take your letter either next door or 400 miles away?Smiley Wink

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings