Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
groovesection
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 30

BT upto 20mb Upgrade....

Hi

What is the deal with this upgrade?

I received an E-Mail last week saying my exchange had been upgraded and i would now benefit from upto 20mb. The E-mail say it is free and i need to do nothing except wait 10 days for the increase on my line (incidently i am still synced @ 8124k) so nothing as yet!

So is this a FREE upgrade which will happen automatically, Or as i suspect some "incentive" to make me sign a new 18 month contract at a higher price than i am currently paying?

I certainly will not be signing a new contract at a higher price!

Anyone from BT who can confirm if this upgrade is indeed 100% FREE as the E-mail implies?

0 Ratings
29 REPLIES 29
Highlighted
AvidExpert
Contributor
Message 2 of 30

Re: BT upto 20mb Upgrade....

I'm sure I've seen in this forums people saying they have been upgraded for free before, not too sure if they had to sign a new contract though, if anyone wants to dig up an old thread for reference it would be great though.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 30

@groovesection wrote:

Hi

What is the deal with this upgrade?

@I received an E-Mail last week saying my exchange had been upgraded and i would now benefit from upto 20mb. The E-mail say it is free and i need to do nothing except wait 10 days for the increase on my line (incidently i am still synced @ 8124k) so nothing as yet!

So is this a FREE upgrade which will happen automatically, Or as i suspect some "incentive" to make me sign a new 18 month contract at a higher price than i am currently paying?

I certainly will not be signing a new contract at a higher price!

Anyone from BT who can confirm if this upgrade is indeed 100% FREE as the E-mail implies?

check your router adsl stats and look if modulation is either 992.3 or 992.5.  If yes then your exchange has been upgraded to 21CN if 992.1 then still adslmax

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Goody
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 30

The upgrade is free. In some cases though you do have to take out a new contract (12 months) however if you are on a special price then that won't be effected. You can phone them and speak to sales if you have any doubts but in many cases you get a better deal.

I did just that and now have "upto 20 mb" on option 3 for £17.49 a month.

Bt do like to reward loyal customers as I have not paid full price since the end of my first contract and now like most of the regulars here I pay just over 2 thirds of the advertised price.

0 Ratings
groovesection
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 30

Thanks for both your replies.

@ imjoly

I cannot find the modulation on my line, i am using a Voyager 220v (not a homehub)

and after checking all the settings via 192.168 etc etc it does not show me the modulation anywhere.

it does however say the line mode = ADSL2+ (which to my knowledge supports upto 24mbs)

@ Goody

so it would seem i do have to renew a contract to get utp 20mb then lol, hardly a free upgrade is it, as the E-mail implied 😞

Interesting no one from BT has stated the policy,wether it`s FREE to everyone automaticially, or wether it is dependeant on me contacting them to enquire and being signed into a new contract?

The E-mail i received clearly impies it is totally free and will happen automatically with no action required from me other than making sure my Hub remains on 24/7 and i use my Internet as much as possible during the 10 day stabalisation period!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 30

from what I remember of the previous post on the forum there was a mixture of automatically upgraded and others who had to agree a new 12 month contract before upgraded. you could try phoning sales and see what they say 08007830056

is the firmware up to date for the 220v?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
MarkV
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 30

I'm fairly sure you have *not* had a new 12 month contract foisted on you (don't think that would even be legal).

My SO had the same email about 10 months ago. I got the impression they were simply upgrading the whole exchange. She was changed from ADSL MAX (up to 😎 to 21CN/ADSL 2+, like you.

When we spoke to BT last month, were told she was out of contract, and had been for ages, so the compulsary upgrade didn't have any impact.

It appears the 21CN upgrade programme is back up and running as I got the same notification myself (Ealing exchange) and will be done on Wednesday.

0 Ratings
groovesection
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 30

@ jmjolly

Yes the firmware is upto date Version 3.30r

@ MarkV

I know they cannot impose a 12 month contract or whatever.

I have been out of contract for ages too, I just want to know why i get an email saying a free upgrade which has not happened, and do i have to enter a contract to get this supposedly free 20mb upgrade?

0 Ratings
MarkV
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 30

Ahhhh, understood.

No you don't. You have been migrated to '*up* *to* 20mb', as confirmed by your Voyager reporting ADSL 2+. So you will automatically get the best speed your line can take. Taking, or not taking, a new contract will have no effect on the speed.

As you may have read elsewhere, ADSL 2+ is much more susceptible to line conditions so up to 20 can in practice end up with a lower speed than up to 8.

Leave the Voyager alone. Don't reset it. Don't switch it off at night. That will result in the best speed. And don't take out a new contract (unless you want a better price).
groovesection
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 30

Ah right,

Thanks Mark 😄 Rep * added

My stats however still show me synced @ 8124k, surely if i was on upto 20mb the sync should be 20000k regardless of IP profile/throughput acheived ?

At least thats how i understand it, my stats today are showing a high 40db attenuation on the downstream though and that would equate to amximum of 10mb in theory anyway.

i never monitor my stats, however the router is never turned off

my upto 8mb has always been solid and i get great throuhput speeds (900KB/s over http) maximum.so figured my line must be pretty good as that is great for BT!

0 Ratings