cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
icepuffin
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

BT virus protect and web protect - do you need both?

Go to solution

I was looking to download the virus protect but reading about what it does it looks that it overlaps with web protect. I am not really sure what each of them does, if I use virus protect do I need to also use web protect?

thank you.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT virus protect and web protect - do you need both?

Go to solution

Web protect intercepts DNS requests at network level, to reduce the chance that you may be redirected to a fake or phishing site. It effective on all devices connected to your home hub.

Virus protect works on individual devices in an attempt to prevent virus infected files from being downloaded. It will have an effect on the performance of the device its installed on, and there are other third party alternatives.

You can reduce the chance of a virus infected file doing harm, by making sure that you only browse the Internet, under a local account, not an administrator. (Only applies to Windows).

Make sure all other users are using local accounts.

0 Ratings
icepuffin
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Ok, Thanks, can I just download and use web protect and keep my current antivirus (avast) or do I have to have the whole package of BT products.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

You can keep using Avast and just turn on web protect if you wish. Have you checked  your Avast product to see if it has a similar product to BT's wbprotect. Most Antivirus packages do.

0 Ratings
icepuffin
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

good point, I have just checked and avast does have web protection , so don't need the BT one , thanks

0 Ratings