ricey1986
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

BT vs Virgin

HI all, Just wondering if someone could confirm something for me, I am currently with Virgin and I am experiencing Downstream Utilisation errors which they are looking to have fixed by 29/4. For me this is too long and I am looking to move to BT Infintiy. However upon calling Virgin to cancel my service the CS rep told me that any fault I am experiencing with them I will also likely experience with BT as they use the same headend? Is this true is he talking c**p to keep me on Virgin?

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT vs Virgin

They don't use the same headend
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Virgin have their own network which is separate to BT, so its not true what they said.

Sephiroth
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Before you make the leap to BT Infinity (I have both) make sure you know whether or not your wire back to the street box is aluminium.

If so and you're more than 350maway from the FTTC cabinet, expect seriously high latency and nowhere near 80 meg on Option 2.

On the other hand, when VM do upgrade your area you won't have that problem and, as in my area, I would hope you get top speed 24/7/365.
Seph

My advice is at your risk.
0 Ratings
Mikeoats
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

From my experience (I have had virgin in the past) BT are way way worse than virgin if there is any kind of problem, they will try to dodge sending an engineer to fix anything and try to blag you that any errors you maybe getting are normal.

Infact if Bt can in anyway f--k you over they will, I once got charged £130 for an engineer visit that didnt even happen, when I complained they told me there was nothing they could do to make my line work for more than a couple of hours at a time and cs suggested they put me through to their cancellation department, customer service at its worst = BT

0 Ratings
ste211270
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

am on BT Infinity 2 and it IS miles better then VM 152mb without a doubt

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 7 of 8

@Sephiroth wrote:
Before you make the leap to BT Infinity (I have both) make sure you know whether or not your wire back to the street box is aluminium.

If so and you're more than 350maway from the FTTC cabinet, expect seriously high latency and nowhere near 80 meg on Option 2.

On the other hand, when VM do upgrade your area you won't have that problem and, as in my area, I would hope you get top speed 24/7/365.

When did you start lurking in here Seph?

0 Ratings
Sephiroth
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

@pippincp wrote:

@Sephiroth wrote:

When did you start lurking in here Seph?

Hi Pip

As you know here in RG41 I've got both VM 152 & BT Option 2.  I don't have much to say about the BT circuit - Aluminium to the cabinet so nothing particularly worthwhile other than having a backup circuit for my work.  The VM 152 is completely reliable and performs 100% to the headline speeds.

But we have another house in Rutland and I've put Option 1 in there. It obviously came with that wretched HH5 and I have to say it's worse featured than any of the Virgin Media Superhub models.

With regard to the circuit reboots, I'll know for sure whether or not it's the HH5 when I next go there with my spare HG12 and an ASUS RT-AC68U.

I do see similar traits here among some of the high posting members as we've seen in the VM Forum.  You know what I mean! Last time I took one of them on the Admin was straight onto that. 

Cheers, Pip.

Seph

My advice is at your risk.
0 Ratings