Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 53

Re: Bt web hosting closure

As I pointed out at the top, it's a typical fudge. It's just like you know a company is going to reduce its service when you get a letter starting, "We have been listening to our customers ... ..."

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 53

This is a disgrace. BT are seemingly doing as much to lose customers with moves like this.

There are many users still running websites and they offer no real alternatives.

Furthermore, I only found out by accident because the FTP service failed the other day and I was looking for a status update.

Looks like time to move to another provider.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 13 of 53

@skc wrote:

There are many users still running websites and they offer no real alternatives.

The alternative, as I understand it, is that you use the paid-for web-hosting service.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 53

@skc wrote:

This is a disgrace. BT are seemingly doing as much to lose customers with moves like this.

Furthermore, I only found out by accident because the FTP service failed the other day and I was looking for a status update.

Hi.

Not really sure why the legacy webspace is being closed, but there is a free alternative from BT here :-

http://www.btck.co.uk/

It may appeal to many folk.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 15 of 53

@Andy_N wrote:

@skc wrote:

Hi.

Not really sure why the legacy webspace is being closed, but there is a free alternative from BT here :-

If you have or want to create a website for a "charity or not for profit community group", maybe.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 53

@Scorpion0x17 wrote:

@Andy_N wrote:

@skc wrote:

Hi.

If you have or want to create a website for a "charity or not for profit community group", maybe.

Indeed, it is a restricted type of offering. It's not really 100% obvious what a "community group" is - but I've seen tennis clubs on there, so maybe family type stuff and hobbies are accepted.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 17 of 53

Just received my email today to say the free service is closing down. I'm a regular user of the free service and have been so for perhaps 14 years or so. Now I'm being asked to pay perhaps £5 extra per month for something which hitherto had been free and provided an excellent service for those who still have their own web site.

Could this latest bad news be from the same Warren Buckley Managing Director, Customer Service who made a right mess of the earlier letters/emails sent out about automatic changeover from BT Yahoo! Anytime Plus to BT Total Broadbandfor which I'm still waiting to come to fruition.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 18 of 53

OK, so BT are reducing the service provided but do they intend to reduce the charges. I doubt it !

I sent a complaint to BT last week, still no reply ( so much for 72 hrs. maximum response time ).

It is dreadful that a company can behave in such a manner and expect to keep their customers and think

they can get away with charging a fiver for a service that was promised as free.

I am now looking for a new provider. If I knew what I know now I would never signed up with BT.

Even if they don't offer free web hosting, I am sure that the broadband saving will cover the cost of web hosting.

(about £3 elsewhere) not the £5 BT want.

It was bad enough when geocities announced that they were closing their webspace which was part of the deal with BT.

That meant changing to BT's freespace then letting everyone know the URL had changed. Here we go again.

Totaly unacceptable. What next will they take away ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 19 of 53

I too received a copy of that email yesterday morning. I didn't think it was genuine as it is not addressed to me personally and just says "Hello".  I ring BT, got sent from pillar to post. No one knows anything about it and I was assured that it's spam!  I am still not convinced one way or the other. I was then told to send an email to acceptable.use@btinternet.com which I did. I've now received a reply telling me to fill out a form.

I feel sure that if this was genuine then BT staff would know about it and would be able to help and advise. 

I have also been told that any emails from BT, Amazon, Ebay, etc. that aren't addressed "personally" are definitely SPAM.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 20 of 53

Not sure how closely BT would check the purpose of web sites using this service - and one of my web sites is used semi-commercially.  Anyone know of any other free hosting sites, or can anyone recommend cheap but reliable paid for sites?

0 Ratings