Message 21 of 53

Re: Bt web hosting closure

Here's a list of free web host providers *****************

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 53

BT web hosting closing

The only reason I stayed with BT to get broadband, having started with BT dial-up in 1998, FOURTEEN YEARS AGO, was to keep my website. I made specific queries at the time I opened by new BT Infinity account about two years ago, and was assured that my website would continue.

I think that BT’s depriving their customers of this service is incredibly mean, bearing in mind that they are in fact a dedicated Internet Service Provider. The inconvenience I am going to suffer will be most unwelcome.

My BT Infinity bill is at the limit of what I can afford (I am a full-time carer, disabled myself, and my wife and I manage on disability benefits). The extra change of paying for a business web hosting service will be too much for our budget.

We may not be able to remain as BT Customers.

Finding ourselves in this situation through no fault of our own is ABSOLUTELY INFURIATING. What sort of moron pays a salary to another sort of moron who sets about frustrating customers to the point they go elsewhere?

Lunacy.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 53

Re: BT web hosting closing

I received the email on the closure of free web hosting a few days ago - on the 5th July. I can understand BT wanting to save costs if this is a little-used service, but surely taking the service away when it is part of my broadband package (since 2003) is not the right solution. If indeed there are relatively few users of this service, surely it makes better business sense to offer the remaining users a free upgrade to the £5 a month service, rather than risk losing customers and/or damaging BT's relationship with its customers? A few users x a cost of £5 a month must be a 'drop in the ocean' compared with the negative impact on BT's business.

I'm also not sure about the legalilty of removing a component of my broadband package.

I shall be making a formal complaint and would hope that others that are affected will do the same.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 24 of 53

When I got that e-mail I thought it looked like spam, since it didn't link through to BT's own web site, but to a company called e-mail planning inc, and there were other things which appeared suspeciious, so I rang the BT Internet helpline number to check, and they said that there were no plans to remove BT Internet web hosting, which I was pleased about, since my wife and I use it a lot, in my case for a small charity's web site, and that the e-mail must therefore be a Phishing mail.

So who do I believe, this support web site, an e-mail I was told was spam, or your own telephone support?

Seriously unimpressed; please will someone tell me definitively what is going on.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 53

It is definately closing soon, no final date yet. I think they are giving people time to migrate their websites.

The actual link is here http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39105/

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 26 of 53

@ra_salmon wrote:

When I got that e-mail I thought it looked like spam, since it didn't link through to BT's own web site, but to a company called e-mail planning inc, and there were other things which appeared suspeciious, so I rang the BT Internet helpline number to check, and they said that there were no plans to remove BT Internet web hosting, which I was pleased about, since my wife and I use it a lot, in my case for a small charity's web site, and that the e-mail must therefore be a Phishing mail.

So who do I believe, this support web site, an e-mail I was told was spam, or your own telephone support?

Seriously unimpressed; please will someone tell me definitively what is going on.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

I'm afraid that all the support emails are sent with that e-mail planning reference. They do indeed look like phishing emails due to them not being directly referenced as a BT website. I have tried to get this altered over the years, to no avail.

However, it is true that the websites are to be closed.

In your case, have a look at www.btck.co.uk, which should be ideal for your charity website. You can set it up now and provide a forwarding message to the new site well in advance of any closure.

Indeed if you look at the banner on btck, you will see a notice that it's not closing - but only refers to that particular part. The helpdesk I'm afraid tend not to have been aware of the BTinternet web hosting for years, so they were probably referring to the btck.

The problem stems from them both being called the same "BT Web Host", and the fact that there is a red banner on btck implies that there is a lot of confusion.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 27 of 53

Andy, thanks for that - very interesting, and thanks for the confirmation and suggestion of btck, but we have our web sites as html, and just want to ftp them to a server.  I can't see anything in the FAQ to indicate they support ftp.

Regards,

Richard

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 53

Re: BT web hosting closure

I have a very heavily used website on btinternet.com.  It is really the only reason I keep going with expensive BT Total Broadband.  Now I am transferring everything to Easyspace where I can get a cheap deal.   However, today I notice that something has changed and I can no longer ftp to my btinternet website.  Has anyone else exprienced trouibles?  Is BT trying to hurry us up?!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 53

Its been like that for a few days now, I think a lot of the servers have been turned off. I had re-directs setup for the last few months, but they no longer work. I now host my files on my own webserver.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 30 of 53

Yes, I can't FTP to my website and cannot access the website through the browser anymore.

We are supposed to have "a few more months yet" and have not been given a deadline date yet.

I will submit a fault today and see what the rersponse is.

0 Ratings