cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 53

BT web hosting closing - bye bye BT

Just got an email saying BT are closing their web hosting service. That's the only reason I kept paying for my btinternet.com email address so might as well get a free email now. Nice one BT - you've lost a customer.

52 REPLIES 52
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 53

Bt web hosting closure

The email I received says:'We'll soon be closing our free website-building service, BT Web Hosting'

Does this mean that the website building part is closing or the actual web hosting will no longer....host?

Anyone have any definite news on this?

Thanks in advance

David Crabb

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 53

Re: Bt web hosting closure

It's clear from Buckley's email that existing web space is being withdrawn, though it's typically woolly as if he's ashamed to say so. Also typically, the change is presented as an improvement, with no indication until you dig deeper that an extra charge is involved.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 53

As a user of BT free web space I have not received any email saying that it is being withdrawn. Is this the same thing as BT Web Hosting ? If you have received such an email I wonder if you could post it (minus personal details) or a link to any statement on the BT website.

Many thanks in anticipation.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 53

Here it is. This is a screenshot so the links won't work.

Image1.jpg

Highlighted
Moderator-Retired
Message 6 of 53

You can find all the information you should need about the withdrawal of this service here.

Dean
BTCare Community Mod

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 53

:smileyconfused:

"We're closing BT Web Hosting..."

"Our other service, BT Web Hosting..."

Hmm, maybe that's why only some people have problems with BT Yahoo - all this time we thought we were using BT Yahoo, but in fact we were using BT Yahoo!

Smiley LOL

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 53

Thank you DeanM, appreciated.

I'm off on holiday to Cornwall tomorrow but looks like we have a bit of time to do this, so will be on to it when I get back.  I already have BT Business space but have been putting this off because of all the faffing about.  The real pain is that some of my pages are ranked very high by Google, so I may have to crawl back up again. Oh well, as I said on a similar thread 'Happy days!'  Where's my wetsuit?...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 53

For those who might be confused. "We're closing BT Web Hosting"

"BT Web Hosting has the same name as the one we are closing, but it has got more features"

If they were capable of speaking plain English, it should read, Free BT Web Hosting is no longer free, sign up for the paid service or lose your website.
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 53

@DeanM wrote:

You can find all the information you should need about the withdrawal of this service here.

Thanks.

However, there are errors with the information as I said elsewhere.

In addition to the information I provided, (including no date on the webpage you've listed - in fact there are hardly ever any dates, this is wrong as it makes it virtually impossible to know when the information was provided/altered), it was actually part of the initial BTinternet service back in 1995 when it started. BTOpenworld came later.

Cam you say when emails will be sent to the websites email addresses ?

0 Ratings