cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 31 of 53

Re: BT web hosting closure

Today, 28/8/2012,  I discovered that my websites have been deleted.

I received an email on 2nd Aug saying "...we're shutting down the free version of BT Web Hosting. We'll be closing it in just a few months."  "We'll write again to let you know the exact date we'll be closing the service ".

All data gone without warning after just 26 days, hardly "a few months".

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 32 of 53

The first warnings were sent in May, that was three months ago. I received my final warning on the 7th of August, so I would assume that most sites would be deleted by the end of this month, but I may be wrong.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 33 of 53

YOUR first warning was in May I assume. Mine was at the beginning of the month!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 34 of 53

My first warning was late July (which I've just found today) and then another one just this week.  I've tried and can't login via ftp to get my files and have had to download loads of them manually.   

Over the years while I've had my btinternet website, I've worked really hard and now my URL is top of Google for my subject. All my years of hard work for nothing.

Not great service, BT, not great at all.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 35 of 53

My websites have magically returned and I am now downloading all the files with FTP, before they disappear again!

As a previous contributor mentioned we were supposed to get a deadline date so that we could plan in what we needed to do to manage our websites.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 36 of 53

My last message from BT was on 7 August 2012 to say they are closing the web hosting in just a few months.

Over the last couple of days I've had quite a number of alert messages from "InternetSeer Web Site Monitoring Services" to say my web site home page is not responding. Each time I checked my home page it was working.

I've just managed to upload some updated web pages to my site using ftp and it worked OK, however not all my web pages are accessible and get a  "500 Internal Server Error".

So it does look as if after 14 years or so of having my Web Site hosted by BT the time is closing in for me to say goodbye to BT Web Hosting (but not BT telephone and broadband).

The downside is that similar to somebody else on this forum, my web site tends to be at the top of the search ranking for my particular sphere of interest, this has been after nurturing my site for the last 14 years.

Although I have duplicated my Web Pages on another free Web Hosting it will take me quite some time for my ranking to get back to the situation  I currently (but not for long) enjoy.

Allan Raymond 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 37 of 53

Allan

Like you and previous contributors my web site has been hosted and regularly maintained since at least 1999.

I have yet to receive notification from BT that the facility is closing; I learnt about it from this Forum.

For me the problems started about 14 days ago.

A direct http to the site url sometimes works but more often gives an internal server error.

My attempts to ftp the server to insert a redirect sometimes succeeds but mostly fails with the message 'address has no webpage'

To add insult to injury the Yahoo search engine details my site (like other contributors it is near the top of the search list for my keywords) but also adds - 'sign in to BT.Yahoo! Online.'

Free advertising at my expense!

The irony is that clicking on the invitation to join BTYahoo! Online usually gives an internal server error.

Cheers

boats

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 38 of 53

The emails informing you of the closure would have been sent to the email address that is allocated to your website url.

eg. If your website was  http://www.btinternet.com/~mysite   then emails would have been sent to mysite@btinternet.com.

Unless you login to that email account, you will not see the notifications.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 39 of 53

Keith

Check my website at that address 3 times a day including all spam.

There has  be no email about this closure from BT

Cheers

boats

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 40 of 53

I received two warnings, one a few months ago, and another last month. I moved my website at the end of July.

0 Ratings