cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 41 of 53

Re: BT web hosting closing - bye bye BT

Like some others on here, I have received no communications from BT to say that they are closing down the free web hosting.  I didn't know anything about it until someone emailed me today to say they keep gettting an internal server error when trying to access my website.  Having checked this, my site seems to have already been taken down without giving me any chance to transfer it to another host.  Very, very angry!  :-(((((

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 42 of 53

There's a long thread on the newsgroup bt.broadband.support about this that might be of interest

"BT Web Page gone"

For instance:

> ftp access now restored, but http access still flakey.
> It seems I can access the site if I specifically add index.html to the
> url!!!
> www.btinternet.com/~username - error message with dud email contact
> address
> www.btinternet.com/~username/index.html - site available

Miight be worth trying that.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 43 of 53

I've just had an e-mail to tell me that "Free" web hosting ends on 31st October.

I don't consider it as Free hosting, but part of what I pay for as part of my Broadband package.

I've therefore had to spend over £100 on a new hosting package from elsewhere, for the charity for which I run a web site, and other things on my personal web space (The BT free charity web service is no use, since I do not have the time or the need to build a new web site using their tools, I want to simply copy accross the existing site.)

You could say I'm more than a little p***** off with BT (who initially told me that the notification of the end of the service was a Pfishing e-mail when I wrang the support desk to check on the e-mail from a third party purporting to be BT, who now it seems are being used by BT to send out e-mails to us.)

Richard

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 44 of 53

Try emailing mr Warren Buckley who signs these notifications.  He says boldly that he has had hardly any complaints!!!!  So get emailing.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 45 of 53

Well the first I learn of the  `free` bt webspace going was when I read it on the forum. Never had a email or letter to tell me but what can you expect from a bunch of liars.

Also just found out that they are ending their bb talk as well. No doubt they will say that was also a `free` service and customers wont benefit from a reduction in price.

Glad to say as from the end of this month I am leaving BT and going to a cable supplier. Faster & cheaper broadband, 200meg of webspace included, landline and call package for alot less than ive been paying BT.

Of course,switching to cable, I now find I have the priviledge of paying BT a £30 broadband disconnection charge to cover the cost of their engineers time at the exchange. So much for BT being responsible for everything up to where it enters the house!

Goodbye BT and good riddance. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 46 of 53

Obviously a complete waste of time trying to get any action on this, but that will not stop us moaning and reinforce the poor customer service image that BT has when things go wrong.

I was interested to see the early postings in this chain were made back in May.  It was not until late September that I received an email saying there was a proposal to close the free hosting service.  It said a further email would be sent detailing when the service would close.  I had been looking around for an alternative, but didn't expect to need it so soon

I heard no more until this weekend when I tried to access my site and found it had been closed.  I then emailed BT using the generic help line email address, and received a reply stating that it was nothing to do with them, but included a link to a web page saying the service would end 31st October.

Definite echoes of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy where warning of the destruction of Earth had been posted somewhere on Betelgeuse and it wasn't 'their' fault if no one bothered to look!

So now I have to find a new home for a group of churches and no way of telling people why the site they have used for years has disappeared.  I expect most people will think I just didn't pay the bill, which is really good for our reputation...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 47 of 53

First of all let me say how disturbed I am to see  BT paid moderators editing a posts on this topic eg to remove a list of alternative suppliers and to  remove the contact details for  BT's CEO to make complaints to.  I would not normally bother posting to a forum censored in this way.

I only found out that the service is ending 5 days ago.  Moreover my data will be deleted by BT 30th Nov.  The service was the only reason I stayed with BT all these years, now I will be going.  However my contract runs to well into 2013.

Therefore I am currently in 'discussion' with BT about it being a change to my contract , allowing me to terminate early without penalty. Their last response was that it is not a change to my services provided under contract because it is free. Any lawyer would surely laugh at that, if you pay a fixed price  then all the services included in that price are free.  However I do worry that it may not be specifically mentioned in my most recent contract.  Does anyone jnow if I can temrninate early on the grounds they have changes the contract/changed the services provided in the contract?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 48 of 53

The web hosting service is a leftover from the days when BT provided its own email service, before it sold out to Yahoo! They have not actively supported it for some time and it is not covered by current service contracts. More here. BT Yahoo! has not exactly been an unqualified success and the closure of the hosting service adds to the PR woes, but I doubt that amounts to breach of contract. Best of luck with it.

Your complaint about editing posts is covered by the User Guidelines and Terms of Use.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 49 of 53

Hi dbdb and welcome

dbdb wrote:snipped
  Does anyone jnow if I can temrninate early on the grounds they have changes the contract/changed the services provided in the contract?

I don't know tbh, but the announced price rises may be your way of leaving without penalty

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35832/761,2072,2098

Should you want to use this method, I would suggest you read the following thread, though the mods are yet to confirm just what the procedure is - http://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/I-have-been-charged-30-to-cease-my-broadband/td-p/688404

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Highlighted
Message 50 of 53

pottyperson I'm just curiously looking thorough your previous posts on various subjects.  Are you an employee of BT?

0 Ratings