cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

BT, why won't you let me give you money?

Tried to order BT TV as an addon for my broadband and phone package as I want to get catch-up TV without adverts (on 4od mainly), which I believe BT offers with it being subscription based. It's also what the guy on the phone told me, but I've learned not to always believe people on phones.

However the guy on the phone told me the system wouldn't let the order go through as my bandwidth is too slow. I get around 5.5mbps which is way above the 3mbps minimum the YouView site quotes. Obviously it may fluctuate and it might not be fast enough for some of the content but I can live with that. I was told on the phone the website would allow my order to go through but that doesn't either.

Assuming my initial assumption is correct (about the lack of adverts), is there anyone reading this from BT that can override the block on me ordering BT TV? Thanks

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT, why won't you let me give you money?

Well the simple answers first -

On Youview  the main commercial channel catchup players - the 4OD , ITV Player do have adverts

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Even on BT if you pay a subscription? I realise that normal YouView has adverts.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 11

BT is only one of the partners on Youview - so BT has its own player the BT Player and some internet delivered live channels. The BT player has catchup for some of the BT delivered channels not for the Freeview delivered channels. The BT internet channels can only be received with Infinity although some people can receive the  BT sports channels ver copper broadband if it is fast enough and their local exchange has the capability.

The other players on Youview are provided by the broadcasters themselves and in the case of some of  the commercial broadcasters look to include adverts before and during their on demand content.,

As to minimum broadband speed - this is what the BT website currently says:

Frequently asked questions at 

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/tv-packages

What do I need to get BT TV?

To get BT TV, you'll need BT Infinity or standard BT Broadband with a minimum line speed of 2Mb. To see what broadband speeds you can get use our broadband speed checker

If your line speed isn't fast enough, you might be able to boost it with our Broadband Accelerator

You'll need a BT Infinity package if you want to watch BT Sport on BT TV. If you can't get BT Infinity, you could still get BT Sport with standard BT Broadband. We'll let you know when you start your order.

Finally, you'll need a SCART cable (which we'll supply) or an HDMI cable (to watch HD) to connect your set-top box to your TV.

I suspect that BT may have revised that minimum line speed upwards as I think that 2Mb applied to the now legacy BT Vision service but 5.5MB should  be OK. That speed would not be sufficient for the BT Sport channels to be provided by BT TV.

In my opinion the real benefit to you of getting Youview from BT pack would be obtaining a Youview box and having a BT TV subscription that allowed you to watch catchup and on demand on that Youview box without impacting your broadband allowance. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Yes I can see that I wouldn't be able to get the BT internet channels and so on. All I'm interested in is the catch up services (iplayer, itv player, 4od, 5 demand) and the ability to watch those without any adverts. I was at a relative's house the other day and they had the commercial catch up services without adverts on their BT service, that's all I want.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 11

Are you sure that your relatives were watching via a Youview box..... The older BT Vision box service has catchup without adverts for a selection of the commercial channel programmes.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

It may have been the older BT vision box. Is that no longer offered then? The bloke on the phone lied to me?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 11

According to BT documentation currently the 

BT Vision+ box: (not available for new supply unless you take Sky Sports 1, Sky Sports 2 and Sky
Sports 5)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 11

If you really want one might be easier to get one from John Lewis for £149 with a 2 year guarantee.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

So just to confirm, there is no way to get 4OD etc without adverts on any BT product, as it was only available on the now defunct BT Vision?

0 Ratings