cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nikev21
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

BT wifi hotspot searches ?

My BT homehub 3 is enabled as a Wi-fi hotspot, I installed the bt wifi app on my android phone and then tried to find hotspots in my area ... when I click on hotspots in the app it gives an error "cannot find your current location".

If I  manually zoom in on the map it does show a number of hot spots (at least 6) within spitting distance including my own home hub, but if I then go to BT WiFi  http://www.btwifi.com/ enter my postcode and carry out a search the results are far different, the closest hotspots shown by the bt website are 2 to 3 miles away, none in my immediate area

2 questions, why can't the app find my location, and why are the bt website search results so different from the android app results.

TIA

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: BT wifi hotspot searches ?

The hotspot locator is not geogrphically accurate.

The only indices to actually count, is which hotspots or connection options you have is what your phone actually detects at the time that you search for them.

Remember, some BT customers turn their hubs off when not in use; some customers are signed in to BT wi fi, but dont use a BT hub, so it is a bit of a lottery.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
nikev21
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: BT wifi hotspot searches ?

OK, thanks for that info, I've not actually tried to connect to any hot spots yet but I shall today when I'm out & about, cheers.

0 Ratings