cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 4

BT8500 Stopped Ringing - Solved

The BT8500 Answer Phone has a handset 'Ringer Off' option, by pressing the * key for 2 Seconds, a message confirms this with 'Ringer Off' on the display and then a 'musical note + X' icon permanently on the display, when in this mode pressing 'Volume' also displays 'Ringer off', However if you press * for 2 seconds again, the 'Ringer On' message displayed on the display, means nothing because the ringer is still off, try the 'Volume' again and the ringer doesn't make a sound. The only way to re-enable the ringer is to remove the handset batteries. A help desk guy on 0800 145 6789 said this is not a bug, it's just the way it works, W H A T ! ! !, you have got to be joking, a phone that doesn't ring when it is supposed to is a useless piece of plastic, come on BT this needs fixing immediately. If you have this problem please complain on the 0800 number above

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT8500 Stopped Ringing - Solved

From page 29 of the BT 8500 user guide manuall:

Turn the handset ringer on or off:

Press and hold * (bottom right)for 2 seconds to turn the handset

ringer on or off. The display will briefly show Ringer

on or off before reverting to the idle screen with the musical note + X  

icon displayed if the ringer has been turned off.

Are you sure your not getting mixed up with

Locking the keypad, this is same as above only you

press # (bottom left) just a thought?.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

@BeeTee8500-Owner wrote:

The BT8500 Answer Phone has a handset 'Ringer Off' option, by pressing the * key for 2 Seconds, a message confirms this with 'Ringer Off' on the display and then a 'musical note + X' icon permanently on the display, when in this mode pressing 'Volume' also displays 'Ringer off', However if you press * for 2 seconds again, the 'Ringer On' message displayed on the display, means nothing because the ringer is still off, try the 'Volume' again and the ringer doesn't make a sound. The only way to re-enable the ringer is to remove the handset batteries. A help desk guy on 0800 145 6789 said this is not a bug, it's just the way it works, W H A T ! ! !, you have got to be joking, a phone that doesn't ring when it is supposed to is a useless piece of plastic, come on BT this needs fixing immediately. If you have this problem please complain on the 0800 number above

I was about to come and report exactly the same problem (and solution) which I discovered independently. I don't know what bright spark decided that having a quick way of turning the ringer off was a good idea. In our case it got turned off accidentally, presumably by somebody holding the button down as it was being carried, and of course you're then unaware that the ringer is off.

This phone does a good job of blocking junk calls, but the software does seem both poorly designed and buggy.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

I completely agree that "ringer on" needs to mean the ringer is on, not that the ringer is actually still off. And I can confirm that I also have the same problem and it needs fixing. Can we get software upgrades for these phones? Anyway, there is a slightly easier get-round than removing the batteries. Just power off and back on: press and hold the red telephone (hangup) symbol for five seconds to power off, then press the same button again (no need to hold) to power on again.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings