cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jackwt
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

BT8500 - call guardian enabled - phone doesnt ring if user is in contacts.

Oh the rage.

Heres my problem:

Call guardian turned on:
Calls come through, but only if caller is not a stored contact or added as allowed
If the call is a stored contact/allowed via call guardian, the caller doesnt get presented with the call guardian (as you would expect) but they just get continual ringing and on the 8500 handset, it just appears as a missed call, it doesnt show a call coming through.
Call guardian turned off:
Calls show up on display, but phone doesnt ring.

Any ideas? I have reset the base station and the phones, i have caller id enabled on my line and prove this by getting numbers show up on the phone, when call guardian is turned off.

I purchased from amazon, so can easily just return them if its a fault.

Cheers,

Jack.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
NeilO
Message 2 of 14

Re: BT8500 - call guardian enabled - phone doesnt ring if user is in contacts.

Hi jackwt,

Have you checked to ensure the handset ringer is switched to on and that the volume level is correct.  Check out this userguide link for more info on how to check this.

Neil

0 Ratings
jackwt
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

Hi Neil,

I have checked that, it will ring if the person calling isnt stored in the phone as a contact.

Otherwise all stored contacts just appear as missed calls without the handset ringing.

0 Ratings
danielleclark
Beginner
Message 4 of 14

The first I bought was a twin BT8500 from the BT-shop.  It worked as long as I did not program any nummers in.  As soon as I programmed friends and family into the the handset, the phone stopped ringing and even did not go onto answering mode any longer.  Phone BT, followed their instructions (plugging it straight into master socket, try it out at enighbour) but it would not ring.  Sometimes it rang once, sometimes not.  In the end I got a RMA issued by the BT-shop and they would arrange for pickup two days later (on Wednesday) and as soon as they would receive the unit they would post another set out to me.  On the day they would pick it up, I received a phone call from a company called Tuffnells who should pick it up stating it would be picked up the next day, Thursday.  So, wait one more day and when by 4.30 pm they had not picked it up, I called the BT-shop again.  Something had gone wrong with the pickup and they wanted to re-arrange another pickup by Tuffnells.   I was not willing to stay again another 2 days at home so asked permission to return it myself by post and requested for reimbursement of return cost as well as for the cost of the units which I now wanted to be reimbursed and that, although I had bought several items from BT-shop in the past, I would not order anything again from BT-shop as clearly as soon as something goes wrong with what you bought, you have an enourmous hassle to return it.  Imagine if I had to take off work for them to collect the units, I would have cost me already two days!

They agreed to me returning it by Royal Mail myself and I returned it on the next day, being Friday.  On the next Tuesday, one of the delivery companies serving Western Scotland called at the door, saying they needed to pick something up for Tuffnells (the company BT-shop uses for their returns) ... talking about bad service, this Tuffnells is definitely a worthless company used by BT-shop for their returns!

On the day I returned the BT8500 to BT-Shop, I ordered the same set from another supplier.  It arrived on the Tuesday. I charged it for 24 hours, followed instructions, and Eureka the phone worked as a doodle!  Wednesday and Thursday were great.  Friends and family phoning were going through direct and unwanted calls were indeed blocked.  However, on the Friday evening I discovered my neighbour had phoned while I was in ... it stopped working again!  When I called my neighbour she said the phone had rung and rung but nobody had picked up nor had the answering machine kicked in.  When I tried it from my mobile phone, the unit did indeed no longer ring.  Only when I deleted all numbers of friends and family out of the handset memory, did the phone ring, but as soon as I programmed that number in, it stopped working again!  Even not when I switched the call guardian completely off!

Clearly BT8500 is not up to scratch yet.  Happily enough the company I bought it from issued me a return directly and even emailed me a prepaid returns label!  A real customer service compared to the amateuristic service of BT-shop!

I am now trying to make up my mind if I will go for the Truecall Nuisance call blocker or for a Panasonic KX-TGH220 from the last company I bought the BT8500 from.

I will definitely no longer order anything from BT-Shop as when you need to return something, it is a real nightmare!

0 Ratings
frustraded
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

I am also having the same problem, did you manage to resolve this, what use is a phone if it wont  ring

0 Ratings
frustraded
Beginner
Message 6 of 14

Is it a software thing, does the software need updating

BT as much help as an ashtray on a motorbike

0 Ratings
frustraded
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

Been on the phone this evening to BT, waiting for them to call back to prove that the phone wont ring, After ringing 150 5 times only to be told that problems with phones all start with a line check (which they cant do while your ring them) i had to note cancel contract to get through, finally spoke to technical and they knew exactly waht the problem is and told me to take all the numbers out of the phone book, but there are 2 issues here 2 of the numbers that dont work are not in the phone book, and since then ii have reset the base station and the handset to factory defaults.

what is the use of having an allowed list if as soon as you put someone on the allowed list it no longer lets them ring through.

as a final point this isnt quite right either as there is one number on the allowed list in the contacts that repeatedly gets through

BT8500 not worth a carrot, and originally i thought it was the best thing since sliced bread, looks like the toast is burnt

BT8500 should be recalled and updated to make sure it works

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

try the phones help line 0800 145 6789 they should be able to help you
0 Ratings
frustraded
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

Was promised a call back in 10 minutes from bt technical that was at 18:50, now its 19:28

0 Ratings
frustraded
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

Thanks John 46

At first they told me it was a fault with the phones calling my house, then they said it was a line fault, they were useless, they told me to reset the phone and base station which ive done, the other answer appears to be to remove all the numbers, (which resetting to factory defaults doesnt seem to do) but then whats the point of having an allowed list. My wifes phone number (mobile) is not in the contacts and is noted as an allowed number but it does not ring, just comes up as a missed call, if i turn the bt guardian off, then the phone actually logs the number coming in instead of just missed call but still does not ring

0 Ratings