Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DavidCo
Expert
Message 1 of 4

BT8500

Hi folks

I am thinking of buying the above model from BT (fed up with cold callers etc)

I downloaded the user guide and cannot find the answer to the following.

How does the 'Call Guardian' deal with the 'silence' that you get when/if you pick-up and there is nobody there.

As anyone with cold callers generated by a computer system knows - this one is a must.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Maydays
Beginner
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT8500

If no-one replies to the Call Guardian's request to identify themselves, their call is blocked. The call still appears, though, in the list of calls logged on your phone, so you can see how many pests you've avoided, and what numbers they were calling from (if available).

0 Ratings
DavidCo
Expert
Message 3 of 4

That's ok up to a point I guess.

How long does it wait for a reply I wonder, some of these silences can go on for some time.

Answering an obvious 'fishing call' just informs the 'fisher' that they have found a 'live number' that they can then sell.

Just wondering which way to go?

0 Ratings
Maydays
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Unfortunately there's no way to tell that a call is "fishing" unless you (or Call Guardian) answer it. The advantage of this phone is that it doesn't even ring if the caller doesn't play along and identify themselves.

The only drawback is that the extra screening step may annoy some genuine callers. And I'm not sure yet how it will deal with my bank's fraudbot, who calls me from time to time to tell me I've been spending money in the wrong places.

0 Ratings