cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HopHead
Contributor
Message 21 of 31

Re: BTFON & BTOPENZONE connection problems

Do you know how to change this setting in Windows XP?  I was having this connection problem recently when my Homehub 2 failed.  At first my laptop found a signal and landed on the BTFon Hotspot page, from where I could log in.  After about one hour it dropped the connection.  Despite the Wireless Network Connection showing a very strong BTFON signal, I could not get the BTFon login page to reappear, despite several attempts.  Fortunately my hub started working again so it wasn't a problem, but it would be nice to know if there is a way of forcing a broswer to launch the BTFon login page when a strong signal is indicated.  Thought it might be a browser issue, but tried Chrome, Firefox and IE8 but to no avail.  Just done a check and it's working at the moment!

TonyRol
Message 22 of 31

I have also had multiple problems logging onto Openzone when it appears that there is a strong Openzone signal. I have rung the support on several occasion. Though helpful in tone they have not resolved this regular but intermittent issue. 

When I do get on there is always a Java script error which I have to accept. BT do not seem to understand what is going on and they are not providing the advertised service - ie being able to share spare sprectrum on Home Hubs.

Very dissappointing!! 

0 Ratings
WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 23 of 31

Same here, when I am out and about I can get 5 bars - excellent signal and it still won't open the login page. I have since discovered that 5 bars means nothing since my broadband is not working and my hub shows on the available networks with 5 bars and no connectivity.

So even if you get a really strong signal, it does not mean you can connect, not off my hub anyway. 😉
0 Ratings
Highlighted
teedub
Message 24 of 31

I have also been having problems with BT FON and just don't know what I'm doing wrong or if it's a problem with BT?! I've tried calling the helpline but without any joy.

When I go onto the BT FON website and enter my btinternet.com email and password it suggests I'm registered, but when I enter this information into the BT FON app it accepts it but no joy in connecting to the internet.

I'm fine in my own home connecting wireless to my hub from my "smart"phone but on trying to connect to BT FON in my home or out and about my phone will say I'm connected but I can't actually get onto the internet - the BT FON app simply says "Checking internet connectivity..." - IT'S THERE, WITH EXCELLENT SIGNAL! PLEASE tell me what I am doing wrong?!

0 Ratings
WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 25 of 31

@Teedub, in theory you should be able to connect to FON in your own home, part of your hub signal is split for FON users.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 26 of 31

@teedub wrote:

trying to connect to BT FON in my home or out and about my phone will say I'm connected but I can't actually get onto the internet - the BT FON app simply says "Checking internet connectivity..."

I had a similar problem with my phone, being unable to connect with a known hotspot. I uninstalled the app and got connected straight away. I've done without the app ever since, with no trouble connecting to Fon or Openzone, at home or elsewhere. The phone even remembers the log-in details, so I wonder what the app was actually doing apart from lousing up the connection, apparently.

So I would suggest uninstalling the app and trying to connect manually. If it doesn't do it for you, it's easy enough to reinstall.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
josemariaruiz
Beginner
Message 27 of 31

Wimbledon zone, I bought a 5 days pass to BTFON and there is no way to stay connected for more than 20 mins 😞
Tags (3)
0 Ratings
fieryfjord
Message 28 of 31

I'm afraid you just wasted £15 of your hard earned cash.

I did the same, bought a 5 day pass - in Nottingham, only able to use it 30 min at a time and it logs off, and can't log on any longer. Very frustrating.

0 Ratings
Yell-Solo
Beginner
Message 29 of 31

This is all really astounding.  This is an official BT Forum with countless postings all saying the same thing, and yet there is never any word from BT themselves.  Not even a mediator, let alone someone who could actually say: "We are having technical difficulties...."  or: "The switchover from BT FON to BTwifi has messed up our service...."   Or even:  "We don't give a toss as long as you are throwing money at us."

It is most indicative of the way BT views it's customers issues with it's service.  If you ring the helpdesk, they blame FON or the Home Hub owners.  They will not take responsibility for any of it, except the fabled "managed hotspots" that are supposed to be in most town centres, which I was advised to seek out at 11:30pm by the guy on the (un)helpdesk.

Pull your finger out BT.  Start giving some reall answers!

0 Ratings
Manjinder
Message 30 of 31

Nothin
0 Ratings