Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
roughbeast
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

BTFON and the World FON community

I have been a member of the FON community for many years. I have always used a FON router, even before BTFON existed, to share my BB via my local hotspot. This gives me access to free WiFi worldwide whereever there are FON hotspots. There are millions of such spots. FON It  also now gives me access to BTFON hotspots in the UK.

Recently I travelled to Spain, where FON spots abound. As usual I had no difficulty accessing WiFi. However a Brit I met was trying to access a FON spot using his BTFON account. Always he got the message that his account was not valid. He told me that this is the experience of many BTFON members abroad.

Has anyone  managed to use FON spots abroad, or indeed FON spots in this country of which there are many thousands, using their BTFON accounts?

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
anoldtimer
Beginner
Message 2 of 10

Re: BTFON and the World FON community

I am a new BTFON user. I had hoped to be able to access BTFON in Venice recently, but with no success. My phone only picked up secured networks or a telecom operator who wanted money first for wifi minutes. Had same problem elsewhere in Italy, eg Rome and Siracuse (Sicily).

0 Ratings
roughbeast
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

FON hot spots like BTFON transmit an unsecured signal, where you have to get past a portal web page to get full access to the web. If you didn't detect one perhaps you weren't near one, or your phone isn't capable of picking up wireless g. I always take a netbook abroad,  capable of connecting to wireless g and n.

0 Ratings
ngood77
Message 4 of 10

Yes, my family are experiencing simlilar issues in Portugal.  They can successfully hit the ZON FON landing page, and click on the BT Broadband link, but then it says their user name is invalid.  Surprised that this is not answered on this forum somewhere.

0 Ratings
ngood77
Message 5 of 10

All,

Today my family have successfully connected to a FON hotspot in Portugal via the BT Total Broadband log in. They did this by only using the first part of their e-mail address as the user name, even though the landing page says E-mail. Hope it works for you too !
Message 6 of 10

@ngood77Good post there. We've worked out that in the UK the email must be:

johnsmith@btinternet.com

and not

johnsmith@btopenworld.com

A partial e-mail address is both puzzling, and worrying though.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 10

@AQ, if I may clarify something for you.....

When connecting by via a laptop, only the firstnamelastname is needed to log in to fon via the landing page, when using the BT Broadband log in option.

Only the inclusion of the @btinternet.com is needed to connect via a mobile (or the Fon app).

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Message 8 of 10

@DS, thankyou.  As I've never taken a laptop out of the house, I've never logged into Fon via one. 

Hang on a minute, I've never owned a laptop, so I would'nt have done Smiley Surprised

Wifey and daughter do though for work.

Seriously, assumed the route was the same for all devices. [I wonder what the tablet customers do?]

AQ.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 10

(cough cough) - permanently borrow the Wife's........Smiley Wink

or your daughtersSmiley Tongue

(go for the one who can't run that fast!!Smiley Very Happy)

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Been there and done that.  They "loose" every right shoe I own until the laptop is returned.

Retaliation is futile as they take the left then as well  Smiley Sad

AQ.

0 Ratings