Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TRaMP
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

BTFON - connection indicates No Internet Access

Go to solution

I cannot connect my laptop to a BTFON or Openzone point.

My account indicates that I am opted in to BTFON, but when I connect to a hotspot the connection is successful but I have never seen the landing page. The status indicates No Internet Access and it will not connect manually to www.btopenzone.com:8443.

My laptop will connect to my hub but if I disconnect that network and attempt to use the BTFON network on my hub, I get the same problem. The status indicates it is connected to an IPv4 address beginning 10.251 but there is no internet access.

Any suggestions please?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: BTFON - connection indicates No Internet Access

Go to solution

Are you attempting to sign in as a BT BB customer, and not [by mistake] as another category of user?

What browser are you using, try another, say Firefox............

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
TRaMP
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Hi,

I never see the option to select the user category - I have never seen the landing page on my laptop. When I enter the page manually, on my dektop pc, I just see the BT Openspace page with nothing about logging on or selecting BT BB.

I have tried both Firefox and IE, the laptop is running Windows 7.

I have just hard reset the home hub and opted out, then back in to BTFON. Now waiting for the hub to be informed that it is in the community. I guess a couple of days wait for that, then try again?

0 Ratings
Malacath
Expert
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

I get the same problem. Only some hotspots work.

Can not connect to some hot spots at all. My own BTFon hot spot is a total waste of wi-fi bandwidth.

No one at all can connect to it.

It's as though there are a lot of hot spots out there that are totally useless. It's been like this since they upgraded the exchange to ADSL2+

0 Ratings
TRaMP
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

Well, after the BTFON and BTOPENZONE access points finally re-appeared on my hub I still have the same situation!

Any suggestions as to what next?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

This may not help, but its worth saying.  Some v2 hubs need to be re-set in order to give out the Fon option on them. A number of us pick up a fon point but cannot connect because the users hub needs a reset.

Things had stabilised with Fon of late, but there is now a growing number of connection issues bumping up again.

AQ.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

This may not help, but its worth saying.  Some v2 hubs need to be re-set in order to give out the Fon option on them. A number of us pick up a fon point but cannot connect because the users hub needs a reset.

Things had stabilised with Fon of late, but there is now a growing number of connection issues bumping up again.

AQ.

0 Ratings
Malacath
Expert
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

My hotspot never worked with the home hub 2 and still doesn't work now i have a home hub 3.

Tried resetting it. It worked for a day but is again now saying no internet access when I connect. 

0 Ratings
TRaMP
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution
Many thanks for the suggestions here but I had already hard reset the V3 hub to no effect. I finally cracked it! It turned out to be the DNS settings. A previous ISP kept getting DNS errors and I had been using the OpenDNS servers. When I changed the DNS to 'obtain automatically' I was able to get the landing page and finally logged on! At least that works with the hot spots on my home hub - now to find another access point... I hope that helps someone.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Rachael42
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

@TRaMP wrote:
Many thanks for the suggestions here but I had already hard reset the V3 hub to no effect. I finally cracked it! It turned out to be the DNS settings. A previous ISP kept getting DNS errors and I had been using the OpenDNS servers. When I changed the DNS to 'obtain automatically' I was able to get the landing page and finally logged on! At least that works with the hot spots on my home hub - now to find another access point... I hope that helps someone.

yes makes sense because if the open dns servers cannot resolve an address it automatically redirects to its own search/advertising page which would block the landing page/login page

it would be best to use the bt dns servers in this situation

no trees were harmed in the sending of this message but millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
0 Ratings