cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
driver
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

BTHub4 VLAN Setup

Hi, I have a BTHub4. I want to seperate traffic between my family use and seperate for guests who visit and want to use my Wifi. How do I do this? I have just the BTHub4 as a gateway. Thank in advance. 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BTHub4 VLAN Setup

You will need to buy a better router. One that can be configured with a guest network that will keep guests separate from your private home network. None of the BT Homehubs can do that.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

If you just want a separate wireless network, then simply add a wireless access point which has its own SSID and passwords.

If you want total isolation between networks then, as expalined, you will need a different router. Netgear and TP-Link do have modem/routers that can do this.

Provided you have proper file security on your private devices, total isolation is not normally needed.

0 Ratings
driver
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Thanks. Can I put a page up with house rules using the BTHub4?

0 Ratings
driver
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Thanks, How do I add a seperate SSID and password?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

You can make as many rules as you like about your guests using your network/connection but ultimately if anything is done illegally it will come back to you and it will be you who will need to explain what happened and by whom.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

driver wrote:

You would need to buy a separate wireless access point like the TP- Link TL-WA801ND and connect it to a spare Ethernet port on the home hub, once its been configured.

This can transmit up to four different SSIDs, each with its own pasword and MAC filtering options. Normally a single SSID is sufficient.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

@driver wrote:

It depends on which wireless access point you buy. It should come with full instructions.

See link for an example.

https://www.shop.bt.com/products/tp-link-wireless-n-access-point-tl-wa801nd-77RK.html

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

That particular access point works very well. You need to re-configure it using a computer first, as its IP address needs to be changed to something outside of the home hubs DHCP range. Anywhere from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.63  is just fine. The inbuilt setup wizard is quite easy to use.

The first choice (access point) is the usual choice, unless you want to use the multi SSID option. That opton does support VLANS if you have a VLAN capable network switch in your network.

0 Ratings