cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Belfastpasta
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

BTHub6 Smart Hub_will not stay connected to any of my mobile devices

Recently switched from BT standard broadband to Fibre and received the new hub.  

My new hub (dual band) connects wirelessly to my laptops, and televisions (no probs accessing Netflix/Now Tv etc on tvs both upstairs and downstairs). 

Will not stay connected to any of the 4 Samsung mobiles in my home or the Xbox 360 (which all worked perfectly well on standard broadband on the old hub before I switched).  

I have reset the box (factory settings) on several occasions. > same issue

Turned the BT smart manager off > same issue

As the Hub is dual band and connects to both 5gz and 2.5 tried changing the setting to ''Seperate Bands'' (hoping I can perhaps set the phones to a different named connection) however when I attempt this it will not let me save as it loses the internet connection to the laptop I am attempthing this on. 

My thoughts are that it is to do with the dual band but at a loss to pinpoint.

Any ideas anyone? before giving up and asking to return to Broadband.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: BTHub6 Smart Hub_will not stay connected to any of my mobile devices

Welcome to this user forum.

If you separate the wireless bands, the SSID on the 5G band will change, and have a "5" added to it.

If your laptop is connected to the 5G band, it will disconnect, and you will have to reconnect using the modified SSID.

Look at the image on this link SSID renamed with a "5" added, after channel split

If you still have problems with wireless devices, then change the wireless mode, and try again.

Change wireless mode

0 Ratings
Belfastpasta
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Hi

I did eventually manage to separate the wireless bands by connecting my laptop via an ethernet cable and therefore not losing the connection.  Indeed the 5ghz was renamed with a 5 at the end however could not manually connect anything to this.  Did not show up when scanning for a connection.  Tried to add it manually to my phone but did not ask me for a password etc.  

Looking at the smart manager most of my devices seem to be at indicated under 2.4ghz including my laptops.  Amazon firesticks seem to attach to 5ghz.  

The mobiles that briefly connect seem also to go to 2.4 ghz.  

Will see if I have any joy with changing the wireless mode.

Thanks

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

if you split the bands then you need to login to both 2.4/5ghz separately  itmay be that some of your devices cannot see the 5ghz band and only have 2.4ghz

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
dgw1
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 10

Sometimes configuring static IPs on the devices having difficulty to connect/stay connected can also help...

0 Ratings
emnov74
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

I have the same issue and the devices that won't connect or stay connect only find the 2.4ghz channels. It's driving me mad as never had this issue with other providers
0 Ratings
Belfastpasta
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Hi

Tried changing the wireless mode to channel two and channel three but did not seem to make any difference to connecting my mobiles or xbox.  Have asked visiting friends to try and connect their mobiles to my Wifi but none can.  It shows in the Smart Hub manager that they have tried but no success.  So far have tried Samsungs and IPhones. 

Same scenario > Phone finds the Wifi Network > Open it > Shows signal strength very strong > Select Connect > Obtaining IP Address > Connecting > Connected > Internet not available > Scanning > Internet not available.  

0 Ratings
Belfastpasta
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Hi,

I have already went through some troubleshooting with BT tech but waiting on a call from a ''higher level of tech'' person to try and resolve the issue.  If I have any joy will post. 

0 Ratings
emnov74
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

This is exactly the problem I have.  The wifi is there, the connection is strong but it denies access to them.  Sometimes I manage to get them on...normally by turning the router on and off but its short lived.  Like I say the devices that have issues only find the 2.4ghz channel. It is rubbish really as I thought this would eliviate issues like this but going BT infiity and paying more and getting a smart hub. I have been onto BT Tech and they have spent ages trying to sort it out and have now come up blank as all the list of things that they say they have done and it still does it.  I get connected, no internet...password incorrect...or acceess denied...it varies depending on the day! 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

There have been lots of reported issues with the home hub 6, too many to list here. The inability to select all wireless channels manually, is a major problem in built up areas.

0 Ratings