cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjr1006
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 22

BTID/BT email password recovery issue

I have a BT ID and a BT email and I wish to recover the password for my BT ID. The current setup is like this:

BT ID:

Username = myemail@btinternet.com;

Password = Forgotten

BT Yahoo email:

Username = myemail@btinternet.com;

Password = Password1

(these are all dummy details before someone asks!).

Note: The branding on my email page says "BT Yahoo Mail" and not "BT mail"

As can be seen above the same "btinternet.com" address is used on my email and my BT ID.

When I go to the Reset Your Password page on MyBT (in order to try and recover the password on my BT ID), I am presented with an "Enter username" box. However, when I hover over this box the purple information tab that flags up says the following:

Please enter your BT ID username or your BT email address depending on the password you want to reset

1) What happens if the BT ID username is the same as the BT email address? Does the system prompt you at the next stage whether you want to reset the BT ID or the BT email password?

Or does BT reset your BT ID and BT email to have the same password. This would seem to be a security issue in waiting.

2) If my email is "BT Yahoo Mail" as opposed to "BT Mail" what will using the BT ID recover password page do? Will it reset my BT ID and leave the password of my BT Yahoo Mail untouched?

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: BTID/BT email password recovery issue

0 Ratings
mjr1006
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 22

Thanks licquorice for the reply

I've read that post you've linked to in its entirety now. However, I'm not sure that it quite answers my situation.

If I fill out the BT ID username password box, what happens next? Are password reset emails immediately sent somewhere or does ths system challenge me to prove my identity?

I'm quite happy to leave my email password as it is and it's just the BT ID password that needs changing. So, I've no particular desire to get into a recovery process that tries to change my email password as well.

Also, does the fact that I have a BT Yahoo mail account make any difference? If I have a BT Yahoo mail account will this be unaffected by any password recovery actions I take in respect of the BT ID, even though the same username is used on both the ID and the BT Yahoo mail?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 22

To be perfectly honest, I got so confused by the whole thing I can't remember exactly what happens without going through the whole rigmarole again (which I don't particularly want to do). A couple of things I do know are that the wording is very poor and ambiguous and that BTID and email passwords are independant of each other.

0 Ratings
mjr1006
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 22

It is definitely ambiguous and the Help Pages don't seem to be up to date with the current User Interface (for example, the video animation that appears at the bottom of the Forgot details page shows a purple dialog box that only references the BT ID and not "BT ID or BT email"!).

In any case, through the wonders of a discovered password hint, I have now remembered my BT ID password.

This has however opened up another issue. I am logged into both the Webmail interface for BT Yahoo mail and the My BT interface. There now appears to be no way of managing information associated with the email address such as password recovery details etc.

Clicking on the gear icon in webmail followed by Account Info does not take me to the page that contains all the account information (in other words it does not take me to the screenshot shown at point 5 of the attached link - http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1148/c/346/related/1)

Has BT been tinkering with the UI again?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 22

No, that's the whole point, it has all changed and is now more akin to how BTMail works.

0 Ratings
mjr1006
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 22

"how BTMail works" - is that code for "broken"? Smiley Indifferent

Where can you access account management information now then? The Gear icon>account info route takes you to the BT ID page where the only option seems to be "delete" the email account. There's no "manage" option. Certainly nothing that equates to the old pages shown in the screenshot I mentioned above.

If I wanted to change my recovery email address or my mobile number, how do I do that?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 22

You do that in MyBT> MyProfile.

0 Ratings
mjr1006
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 22

OK, but what happens if one of my BT emails is actually a sub account of another family member? I can't log in to the BT ID area because that's owned by the family member.

Does that mean that my email recovery information (that previously I could access and set) is now the recovery information of the family member? If so, did the primary account owner's recovery information overwrite my recovery information?

Why didn't BT tell anyone these changes were happening?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 22

Email addresses are now associated with a BTID, initially all your sub addresses are owned and managed by you via your BTID. You can then gift an address to a family member who then administer it via their BTID. You can still delete it, but can't do anything else to it. This is how the BTMail system works and BT havee brought BTYahoo mail into line with. Without telling anybody of course!!!

subaddresses.jpg

0 Ratings