cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wotcha
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

BTMail address/password not recognised

I need to check the status of my wi-fi account - to do this I need to log-in using my BTMail account. I am entering the correct BT email address and what I think is the correct password - however I receive an error message - 

Authentication failed. Invalid username or password

So I click on the "Forgotten password" link which takes me to another form that invites me to enter my BT email address - when I enter this I get another error 

Sorry, we do not recognise that email address

I've tested the email address to prove it is still working and even "cut and paste" it from an email into the various forms to ensure I'm not spelling it incorrectly.

This is all quite frustrating as all I'm trying to to is follow BT instructions by filling in BT forms - but seem to be getting nowhere.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: BTMail address/password not recognised

I have moved you from the email board onto the board that deals with BTWifi issues as your problem is not an email issue. It is a BTWifi issue, albeit that you use your email address as your user name to log on.

Have you checked your status by logging onto your MyBT then going to your extras. It should show there if the BTWifi is active on your account. If it is not you can activate it there.

If you have a BTYahoo email account you should use this link to check the status.

https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/status.do

0 Ratings
wotcha
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

Sorry I do not have a wi-fi issue - I have an issue with my BTMail email address - did you actually read my post? I assume you must work for BT because that is the kind of response they come up with - I think we used to call it obfuscation when I worked in IT many years ago

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

If you can access your BT Email account with your email address and password but if you try to log in to BT wifi with same email address and password it fails then the problem is as gg30340 has said and is a common problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

No I do not work for BT. This is a BT residential customer to customer forum. I am a customer just like you who like others on the forum try to help people like you in our own free time!

You stated in your post that your email address is working "I've tested the email address to prove it is still working and even "cut and paste" it from an email into the various forms to ensure I'm not spelling it incorrectly"

If your email is not working please explain why you stated it was and what your problem is other than the email address which is your user name for BTWifi is not being recognised.

Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 14

@wotcha wrote:

Sorry I do not have a wi-fi issue - I have an issue with my BTMail email address - did you actually read my post? I assume you must work for BT because that is the kind of response they come up with - I think we used to call it obfuscation when I worked in IT many years ago

Hi.

Can you confirm what you're trying to do? Your initial post says you're trying to confirm your wi-fi account. Do you mean you're trying to login to emails?

How are you checking emails? Is it webmail or app/client?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

The OP is trying to check the status of his BTwifi by using his email account details, which should grant access, without success. He doesn't appear to have a problem with email.

It would appear that yet again the password databases aren't in sync.

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 14

@licquorice wrote:

The OP is trying to check the status of his BTwifi by using his email account details, which should grant access, without success. He doesn't appear to have a problem with email.

It would appear that yet again the password databases aren't in sync.

I wasn't really sure, since the OP doesn't actually mention btwifi but says wi-fi account.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

Considering the OP was in IT his post is rather obfuscated as regards what his problem is.

wotcha
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

Forget that I mentioned wi-fi. I am trying to use a form on the BT website to log-in using my BTInernet.com email address and password. I keep getting an Authentication Error, which I can only assume is connected to the password - as I am cutting and pasting the email address. This is link to the form in question - https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/statuscheck.do

If I then click on the Forgotten Password link it takes me to another form that asks me to enter my  email address and gives 3 options for domain name... btinternet.com, btopenworld.com, talk21.com. When I enter my email address I get error - 

Sorry, we do not recognise that email address. Yet I have cut and paste the email address. This is the link to the second form - https://register.btinternet.com/cgi-bin/respasswd1

Perhaps I am wrong and someone can explain to me why this should be classified as a wi-fi problem and not the problem I described in the subject line?

0 Ratings