cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coldpenguin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 3

BTOpenzone just keeps getting worse and worse?

It used to be that I could connect to openzone and get a /working/ connection maybe 90% of the time.

Now, all I am getting is connections which do not have correct routing setup. Leaving me with the "Limited Connection" information.

This is using several devices which have/had working profiles. The HomeHubs that I connect to just seem to crash and not be usable.

So far, in my last 30 recorded attempts, I have not had any of my three devices manage to get a working BTOpenzone connection (linux, windows mobile, or windows 7, so I am pretty well covered on the fact that all of my hardware can't be broken, and at least one of the OS's is a supported OS. The devices connect to other WIFI hotspots without issues). This is in a spread of places, and a selection of times.

When are BT going to start sorting out these issues? Every time I see the adverts on TV about having millions of hot-spots it irritates me.

OK, they might have millions turned on, but it seems that at the moment very few of them are actually capable of working and supporting a link.

The WIFI connects fine, it is just the internal routing on the devices which stops the devices from working. And I cannot go around and reboot other peoples' routers!

Is there any way of reporting these failed routers to BT? The information you can get regarding the MAC address and IP address in use should be enough for BT to check their records as to who they were supplied to, generate a serial number, and perhaps send a remote reboot command.

Currently I would not advise anyone to get BTOpenzone or BTFon access, because basically you cannot get access.

2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 3

Re: BTOpenzone just keeps getting worse and worse?

Hi coldpenguin and welcome

@coldpenguin wrote:

It used to be that I could connect to openzone and get a /working/ connection maybe 90% of the time.

You're not alone, though I've had some good results using an android phone and the BTFon app

Now, all I am getting is connections which do not have correct routing setup. Leaving me with the "Limited Connection" information.

ipconfig will probably show a 169.***.**.** addressSmiley Mad

This is using several devices which have/had working profiles. The HomeHubs that I connect to just seem to crash and not be usable.

The hubs are probably the version 2, it's a known issue with them caching the wifi signals, thus rendering Fon/Oz useless

So far, in my last 30 recorded attempts, I have not had any of my three devices manage to get a working BTOpenzone connection (linux, windows mobile, or windows 7, so I am pretty well covered on the fact that all of my hardware can't be broken, and at least one of the OS's is a supported OS. The devices connect to other WIFI hotspots without issues). This is in a spread of places, and a selection of times.

Indeed, it's not any of your devices

When are BT going to start sorting out these issues?

Ah, personally I wouldn't hold my breath....

Every time I see the adverts on TV about having millions of hot-spots it irritates me.

+1

OK, they might have millions turned on, but it seems that at the moment very few of them are actually capable of working and supporting a link.

I wonder if BT could find out how many are Notspots.....

The WIFI connects fine, it is just the internal routing on the devices which stops the devices from working. And I cannot go around and reboot other peoples' routers!

From personal experience, a factory reset hub 2 still didn't work and BT have advised that this would cure the problem

Is there any way of reporting these failed routers to BT? The information you can get regarding the MAC address and IP address in use should be enough for BT to check their records as to who they were supplied to, generate a serial number, and perhaps send a remote reboot command.

There are 2 official methods (it's not for me to post BT Fon staff email addresses) - btfonenquiry@bt.com or 

0800 022 33 22 (choose the 'BT FON' option)

Currently I would not advise anyone to get BTOpenzone or BTFon access, because basically you cannot get access.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
coldpenguin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: BTOpenzone just keeps getting worse and worse?

@DS wrote:

Hi coldpenguin and welcome

@coldpenguin wrote:

ipconfig will probably show a 169.***.**.** addressSmiley Mad

actually I don't usually get a link local address, I get a 'valid' address on the class A 10. range, but no routing to the 192.168 class B which the DNS servers and login pages reside on.

This should be relatively easy to test on within the firmware.