Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 161 of 166

Re: BTinternet rejecting all our emails

Go to solution

@drcarrera wrote:

Same thing is happening with us since the weekend. Four clients/associates have btinternet.com email addresses and all are bouncing our emails with "found in industry IP blacklist" messages, even though this doesn't appear to be the case on all the IP lookups I've checked (and of course, it's only the btinternet.com addresses that we're having problems with, all the others are fine).

This isn't the first time this has happened and it's a real pain!

Hi, welcome to the forums.

As this has just started, it shows that the system is inherently random or dynamic based on some form "reputation" system unknown to anyone - including the mail team.

Come on postmaster please come to these forums to answer these issues. End users shoul NEVER be informed to contact you - it is the other way round. The postmaster needs to be proactive in order to prevent this from happening in the first place.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 162 of 166

Go to solution

OKay, I know this post if VERY old, but I have since had the same problem today and I kid you not I have spent at least 4 hours today chasing my tail with BT support and with my web host.

My issue has largely been similar. My client has a bt.com email address. Mine is NOT a bt email address. It's a hosted domain as part of my business.

No one on BT support would help. The links on the pages didn't turn anything up.  I kept telling BT support I needed to contact someone in critical support but they kept denying all knowledge of this being a problem.

I got the usual rubbish about not being the account holder so not able to access the account. I lost count of the amount of times I told them I didn't want to access my clients account, I just wanted to get my domain off their black list.

I don't spam people and I don't send unsolicited emails, ever.

Online chat wouldn't listen, i got passed from person to person, then they told me to phone tech support. (Who i knew wouldn't help). Thankfully while on chat and on the phone to tech support they told me they couldn't help. Same old rubbish - account access / didn't under stand the issue blah blah blahhhh.

Anyhow, I then told chat that tech support said they couldn't help and I asked how many more times I would have to say I I wanted to contact the critical path whatsit (can't remeber the full name now). Anyhow, just like that they gave me their number. I asked why they didn't give me that number when I asked over 40 minutes prior and they just cut off the chat.

Anyhow, long and the short of it was, I called that number, selected the option on the menu for malicious emails. Got a UK call centre person, understood me first time. Asked me for the details. Asked me to forward the bouchback email to their phishing@bt.com email address with my domain as the subject (while I was on the phone to him). He raised a ticket. Said he was more than familiar with the problem and would get my domain whitelisted. 

I asked if once it had been done would it happen again, he claimed no. We will see (once it gets sorted, if it gets sorted).

anyhow, the primary reason ia m posting is because I wanted to share the number I was given to help prevent the run around I had for four hours.

BT Critical Path Team - 0808 100 4332.

Hope this helps someone!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 163 of 166

Go to solution

Many thanks, Damian, for taking the time to post this. We haven't had this issue for a while now but I'll be sure to make a note of your info for when it happens again!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 164 of 166

Go to solution

@iamdamian wrote:

OKay, I know this post if VERY old, but I have since had the same problem today and I kid you not I have spent at least 4 hours today chasing my tail with BT support and with my web host.

My issue has largely been similar. My client has a bt.com email address. Mine is NOT a bt email address. It's a hosted domain as part of my business.

I asked if once it had been done would it happen again, he claimed no. We will see (once it gets sorted, if it gets sorted).

anyhow, the primary reason ia m posting is because I wanted to share the number I was given to help prevent the run around I had for four hours.

BT Critical Path Team - 0808 100 4332.

Hope this helps someone!!

Hi, welcome to the forums.

I assume you were having trouble emailing btinternet.com addresses, rather than bt.com addresses - the latter is the corporate company, rather than residential users.

Thanks for the number, unfortunately what should happen is this team investigating the cause of all the reports. Whitelisting a company one at a time isn't effective at all. Either their hands are tied, or they simply don't believe anything is wrong. That could be the case for a small business who pick and choose who they want to receive emails from, but for a massive ISP that's a different matter.

What they don't realise is that it's costing companies potential business and loss of money, not to mention that it's clearly cost yourselves time and money to get it fixed for you. The same applies to everyone that this affects. The bottom line is that also affects BT in terms of time & money due to the complaints coming in and BT having to field them - and then to get it to the correct team.

There could even come a time, if this isn't fixed, when companies might say to end users "If you've got a btinternet email address, sorry we can't do business with you - or get a gmail address, then we can work together".

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 165 of 166

Go to solution

Thanks for your post  I am trying to solve the problem for emails sent from my PHOTODECK WEBSITE which are just confirmation emails of orders sent automatically and emails containing download links for purchased photos. As you say there is no indication that such emails have been blocked- they simply cease to exist as far as I can see. Anyway thanks for the phone number and I have carefully explained the problem to a very helpful sounding person- it remains to be seen whether it is resolved. My next step will be to publicise the problem on Twitter and facebook if BT do not resolve it in a timely fashion.

John Bird

www.anistr.com

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 166 of 166

Go to solution

Dear BT, please read the following...

Local policy for SPF results must consider forwarders

Forwarding is only a problem for mail recipients who check SPF and do not make provisions for any forwarders they have set up. First of all, realize that the SPF result is deterministic and defined by the SPF specification. You do not get any choice in the matter. However, any decision your mail software makes based on the SPF result is your choice. This advice concerns your "local policy" – how you treat SPF results.

Forwarders are generally set up by the mail recipient – and thus are the responsibility of the mail recipient. Mail senders publishing SPF records should not have to worry about forwarding. (Unless you count greeting card sites that let users enter an arbitrary MAIL FROM and don't follow web generated best practices. This is the sender's choice, in which case they will have to list such greeting card sites they use to send mail – or use "?all".)

Even a large ISP can do it. They might complain that they do not know what forwarders their users have set up. Maybe so, but they can:
1.provide a web-based configuration page to list forwarders.
2.default to not reject messages that fail SPF for users who have not configured their forwarders (but still add the "Received-SPF" header).
3.give users who have configured their forwarders the option of rejecting messages that fail SPF.

If tracking forwarders is simply not possible, then the ISP should not reject emails only because of SPF fail. But they can still use the MAIL FROM domain and SPF result for reputation. For example, the reputation of "example.com: PASS" may be quite different from "example.com: FAIL", and if the reputation of "example.com: FAIL" is bad enough, and ISP may start rejecting - just as they do for IP addresses with bad reputation now.

When configuring a forwarder, all you need to know is whether the forwarder performs sender rewriting, e.g. SRS.
•For non-sender-rewriting forwarders, accept all mail without checking SPF (any SPF results are meaningless). Hopefully, you (or your user) have chosen a forwarder that checks SPF before forwarding. If your implementation allows it, also check SPF for a "pretend" MAIL FROM that your forwarder could use (the original recipient RCPT at the forwarder before the email was forwarded). This verifies that the forwarded mail really came from your trusted forwarder.
•For sender-rewriting forwarders, do check SPF.

For ISPs, it should be obvious that this configuration is per-user. The decision on whether to reject an SPF "fail" is delayed until after the RCPT TO SMTP transaction command, so that per-user configuration can be consulted.

SPF Friendly Options for Forwarders

Forwarders may choose to implement SRS for all senders, only senders with SPF records, or only senders whose messages would fail SPF checks if forwarded. Another option would be to do a prospective SPF check (check if the message would get an SPF Fail if sent from the forwarder's server) and reject the message to be forwarded with 551 User not local; please try <forward-path> (See RFC 821 paragraph 3.2 for details).

0 Ratings