cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
neilmorgan
Expert
Message 21 of 43

Re: BTs Outrageous Data charges

I've just notice the "subscription" emails have jumped from 3k to 8k each. I've never successfully used RSS. Must go and have a poke....
Contributor
Message 22 of 43

There is a built in RSS app in Opera, then all you need to do is subscribe top left and hey presto.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Fredo
Aspiring Expert
Message 23 of 43

Having followed the forums for a while now, especially in the run up to the launch of the Hero and Touch 2, I am starting to think 16 months ahead and whether BT Anywhere has a future for me.

I know this is a little old hat, but in reality the standard 10mb usage just defeats the object of having internet access anywhere on the new handsets.

Even paying the £5 per month extra doesn't give unlimited access as it would on other mobile networks, i.e. 3 (and I accept of course the point that unlimited is often subject to a fair use or similar policy).

So having used my Touch 2 for nearly two months I love the phone, love using it around the house where it can be safely connected to wifi and today will try it on my local BT OZ hotspot and see if there are any Fon spots close by.

But in reality BT Anywhere does not really deliver what it purports to offer. Such poor data allowances really do defeat the object and perhaps the service should be re-labelled BT BB Anywhere with Constant Data Use Worries!

Message 24 of 43

10 meg is as much use as a chocolate fireguard, with these phones. 

Only one operator and its piggyback partner offers 1Gb 'fair use' at the moment. "T-hey" charge £10 a month for PAYG data/texts "un-limited". 

Try monitoring your useage for a week using the call/data meters on the device.

We had 10 meg allowance for GPRS on the 620/710 when they came out.  Same story.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

liassic
Message 25 of 43

Fredo,

I've paid the £5 a month for "Unlimited" 500MB a month and to be honest it is is unlimited as far as I've concerned.

As much as I've tried I've never managed to get above 50MB because of the really, really slow data rate.

The chances of me getting up to 500MB are about the same as me winning the lottery!

0 Ratings
neilmorgan
Expert
Message 26 of 43

I assume you haven't got a "new" btbba phone yet?
Expert
Message 27 of 43

I tried RSS and it doesn't seem to be picking up all the messages in, for example, the BTBBA forum. It also doesn't seem to update when I ask it to even though I've set it to 15 minutes it hadn't updated after about an hour.

I've also stumbled across a message in a thread that wasn't sent as an email subscription though previous and later messages have been [update] oops yes it was there, just hiding..... sorry

Contributor
Message 28 of 43

Neil,

I found that it picks up the first of any new stories and then you click on it to go to the site.  Mine usually refreshes when I start Opera each time, but it also can be refreshed at the bottom of your listings.

It is not the best RSS viewer but it works for me.

Tried independent standalone viewers, but found them memory intensive and almost nagging wife (if you get what I mean).

Glyn

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
GARRY_AND_SUSIE
Aspiring Expert
Message 29 of 43

@AQ wrote:

10 meg is as much use as a chocolate fireguard, with these phones. 

Only one operator and its piggyback partner offers 1Gb 'fair use' at the moment. "T-hey" charge £10 a month for PAYG data/texts "un-limited". 

Try monitoring your useage for a week using the call/data meters on the device.

We had 10 meg allowance for GPRS on the 620/710 when they came out.  Same story.

AQ I've gone a similar way to you & bought a new/secondhand phone with a keyboard Smiley Happy & a PAYG sim through a VMNO.

*p a call & $p a text & unlimited data FUP 100 Meg / day, Smiley Very Happy for only £!) top-up every three months.

Data offer is introductory only & will be PAYG chargeable once they decide pricing in May. Inter network calls are FOC as are 0800 numbers as long as you top up by the tenner. On top of all that I've earned myself £9.16 in credit on my account for helping out on their forum, prety much the way we all do on here. I'm laughing all the way Smiley Very Happy & all because Beaties oneview stopped me signing up to BBA. Smiley Very Happy

Just missing the Voip bit 😞   but so is everyone else  🙂

I've already realised how much data these beasts consume & would live in constant fear had I been able to sign up with Beatie & not taken that extra data package.

@neilmorgan

I've got my forum setup configured to show a few more posts per page than standard so they are all comming in at over a Meg for me. Smiley Surprised

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 43

Yep.

They had the chance.  They had the customers. They have a great CS team. There was (IMO) a good forum ethos between customers and CS (+ the two James').  They even had the makings of a great product. They are a big and important GB Company.

And, unfortunately,

Nowt appened.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings