Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cshermen2000
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 43

BTs Outrageous Data charges

Hi All,

I have spent the morning on the phone with BT's technical help people.

I have the new Touch 2, and have been informed that you can't switch the data transfers off without loosing stuff like MMS messaging etc. At the same time though they will not offer the data bundles free.

It is really terrible that they are making us pay £5 for the data bundle when they know that we need it or risk paying massive charges. Most other providers offer this free. Can't we get BT to do the same? I'm sure there are others that are upset by this.

Come on BT. You don't even have an option for a new release handset that doesn't constantly use data.

Clair

0 Ratings
42 REPLIES 42
Fredo
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 43

Re: BTs Outrageous Data charges

It is disappointing that BT offer two handsets crying out for unlimited net access (with or without a fair/reasonable use ceiling) and have utterly failed to deliver in the new Anywhere packages.

Makes a bit of a mockery of the Anywhere concept!

Other mobile providers manage to offer unlimited net access for at a reasonable price - £5 on some contracts and free as an integral part of other contracts.

Has anyone from BT actually been challenged to explain the rationale behind the data charges? This of course raises the question as to whether the issue was even considered by BT as the they seem to be a little wide of the mark with a gulf between aspiration, that is the concept of BT Anywhere, and the delivery of the service through inadequate data provision.

{Mention of other provider edited by mod}

0 Ratings
baconinabun
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 43

I use a program called NODATA on my Touch2 it allows you to TOGGLE the GPRS settings

i have the BT GPRS disabled (no sucking my money when i'm not looking)

and the BT GPRS MMS enabled (for sending piccy messages)

so far it's worked a treat

very easy program to use and free

http://www.modaco.com/content/pocket-pc-software/246171/new-free-utility-nodata/

have fun 😆

::: My second post double woop woop :::

OLD_MAN
Contributor
Message 4 of 43

CHECK YOUR BILL!

I have the 500Mb data package on my Hero and I had a carry over on both text and minutes.

I only used 6,812KB of 'data' on this month's bill from the 512,000KB allocated.  Now when I went to school that meant I had NOT used 505,188KB of the data allocation. My bill confirms that!

So how come I had an entry for £ 0.25 for 'USAGE' ?

An enquiry via BT's email system said that I had exceeded my download allocation - I should reduce the frequency of email downloads and be aware that the Hero is always connected to the Internet. errr Yes, I am aware of that, I had a S620 for 18 months and that is why I have the 500MB data package.

A phone call to the BT Mobile Billing Group resulted in the same suggestion but... when challenged as to the logic, maths and package details, all clearly printed on the last page of the bill, no explanation could be offerred and a credit has been issued.

£0.25 is a small amount - yes, I know that but BT must get their accounting systems sorted.

OLD MAN ( 3 x 20 + 10 and still counting the pennies! )

0 Ratings
glynwhite
Contributor
Message 5 of 43

Oh how happy I am to be still a 620 user.  I have a great OS, 6.5, I have No Data installed and none of your headaches.

Ok I can't use BTBBT, but .....................................neither can you!!!

0 Ratings
miskmask
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 43

Hi Baconinabun,

When you have GPRS disabled, do you still see updated weather on your home screen? Also I see that you still can do MMS, but can you do SMS with the GPRS disabled?

0 Ratings
cshermen2000
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 43

Hi Miskmask,

The tech people told me yesterday that they can completly disable the data function. You can still then connect to your hub and BT openzone but can't use picture messaging.

In the end I had to agree to pay the £5 a month for data. Otherwise what is the point of having these phones??

Thing that annoys me though is that on the old forums some people were getting data added free after complaining but not others. It's very unfair.

Clair

0 Ratings
miskmask
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 43

Yes, Clair, there does seem to be a lot of singing from different hymn books on this matter. I'm heading to Denmark in a few weeks, and I'm not interested in huge data costs while there, which is the reason that I asked. In my old 620, I knew how to change the data connection from Internet to Secure Wap, but I can't even find a setting like that in new Touch 2. I've searched high and low, and can't find anything. I know there's that app 'nodata' but at times I sure miss the simplicity of my old 620.

Having said that I really am in love with my new Touch 2.  🙂  I also bought the extra data bundle so I could enjoy my phone. I just wish I could avoid data costs while in Europe on trips.

0 Ratings
cshermen2000
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 43

Hi miskmask,

The tech support told me that you need to get BT to switch the data off from their end. You can't do it yourself from your handset. Maybe you can get them to switch it off for a few days?? Enjoy Denmark.

Clair

0 Ratings
miskmask
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 43

Clair,

I suspect it would be easier and more idiot-proof to just turn my mobile off while I'm in Denmark. Might turn it on for a few minutes a day just to see if there's any voicemail or text messages. I don't trust BT to return my service to its proper working order when I return.  🙂

0 Ratings