Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
baconinabun
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 43

Re: BTs Outrageous Data charges

Hi miskmask

i have the weather on my home screen to update manually, so i just leave the GPRS switched off, if i need to update the weather on the home screen i just use the wifi connection to update

in "NODATA" app it gives you the option to turn on/off either of the GPRS/GPRS MMS connections and when i want to use the GPRS Data connection i just toggle it

SMS just goes through on the GSM when the GPRS is disabled not an issue,

the only issue i have found is when i need to have a GPRS connection quickly i have the extra step to toggle the enable through the NODATA app, not really an issue as such but worth a mention

0 Ratings
miskmask
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 43

Thanks, baconinabun, for the advice on NONDATA. I think this app is what I need for an upcoming trip to Denmark where I don't want to burn money on un-needed data d/l. The price of know the temperature outside isn't worth the roaming data charge.  Smiley Happy

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
OldGold
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 43

Excellent little program

Ray.

0 Ratings
iainkirk
Contributor
Message 14 of 43

Are you sure that the £0.25 Data Usage charge isn't in fact the BUNDLE CHARGE for a small fraction of a month?

BT's mobile billing terminology is rubbish, but that does seem to be what they mean by Data Usage!

Which minutes\text bundle are you on?

0 Ratings
OLD_MAN
Contributor
Message 15 of 43

Hi Ian,

I was waiting to see what crept out of the woodwork on this problem as it has happend before.  Being in IT management for 25 years does give me a bit of a head start.

The problem with these spurious costs always occur when you request a change to your acccount and I 'guess' that BT (physically or system wise) has to end the current agreement and add the new.  So saying this I have deduced that there is a small time gap between the two and whatever goes on in real time during that period on your phone falls outside your old contract terms and the new contract terms.

When I changed from my old £5 per month S620 (50/50/10) to the higher level Hero (150/100/10), I received 'text' charges as if no contract existed.   Subsequently the next month when I requested the 500MB package, again on the change over, I received a charge of £0.25 when that contract condition changed.

Just very thankful that I wasn't downloading 'Lord of the Rings' during that time!!

Next time I request a change in my contract I will switch the phone off, hide it in the safe and only let it out when the clouds have parted.

OLD MAN ( 3 x 20 + 10 and still recycling my pension to the  BT coffers )

P.S  I have just dusted down an old XP machine from the shelf and achieved the first succesful 'sync'.  Just fancy, a hero with a dedicated PC for support - well I never!

OldGold
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 43

I have just dusted down an old XP machine from the shelf and achieved the first succesful 'sync'.  Just fancy, a hero with a dedicated PC for support - well I never!

Old_Man, Thankyou I can now convince my wife that I have to keep my old XP machine as I need to use it for sync.

Now. about the Linux machine and the Vista machine, will have to work on those.

Ray.

0 Ratings
neilmorgan
Expert
Message 17 of 43

Not to anyone specific, just appropriate to the thread title.
These forum pages are now reaching 700KB each, possibly more. Excess ccharges beyond the generous 10MB limit are, I believe, £1.50 per MB That means EACH BT FORUM WEB PAGE COSTS AROUND £1

They're having a larf!!!!!!
Message 18 of 43

I tend to save my 10mb for high days and holidays, having been stung recently for leaving the Data Connection on.  So now BT get sometimes about 9mb back each month .......funny this does not roll over like calls and texts.

0 Ratings
neilmorgan
Expert
Message 19 of 43

Or to but it another way, over the last two weeks I have acrued (sp?) 774 page views which are each potentially worth 700KB which comes to a little over 500MB
The fair usage is 500MB isn't it?
Phew. Thanks goodness for my limited unlimited BTBB3 and thanks to BT for making the site so horrible for an HTC that I haven't cost myself a fortune already!
Contributor
Message 20 of 43

Neil,

I keep track with an RSS view in Opera and only open up if required.  But then again, I will only tend to connect through my WiFi.

I save the GPRS for Fulham scores and that tends to take a lot of polling.

Glyn

0 Ratings