cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 24

Re: BTvision box not supported by BT

Things could get even more complicated once PlusNet start up their Youview service planned for this year.  Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 24

Well the software for Humax sometimes diverges when BT make a release to add a new feature, but the retail software catches up within weeks. All I can say is that I have a retail box bought on the first week after Youview launch, and I have BT Sport via BT
Infinity on it. BT can set it up - it's just their abysmal staff training that is stopping them.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 24

Has anyone actually got a good answer to why BT will provide the £5 BT Player Essential service on retail boxes and allow the BT Sport to be added, but will not provide an Entertainment equivalent or other bolt-ons? The fact that BT Sport over Infinity multicast is available surely shows that it's not a technical limitation.

I've been trying to think of a good reason why BT would want to turn down a potential £7-£20+ per month from certain BT Broadband customers with retail boxes, preferring to ignore them or first send them another box BT themselves value at £199. Is it just a case of the BT account processing systems not being able to handle things or is there some obvious commercial reason I'm missing here? Or is it possibly down to content contractual/licensing issues? It just doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 14 of 24

I don't think there is another other reason other than the training of the CS staff.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 24

@umpire wrote:

Has anyone actually got a good answer to why BT will provide the £5 BT Player Essential service on retail boxes and allow the BT Sport to be added, but will not provide an Entertainment equivalent or other bolt-ons? The fact that BT Sport over Infinity multicast is available surely shows that it's not a technical limitation.

I've been trying to think of a good reason why BT would want to turn down a potential £7-£20+ per month from BT Broadband customers with retail boxes, preferring to ignore them or first send them another box BT themselves value at £199. Is it just a case of the BT account processing systems not being able to handle things or is there some obvious commercial reason I'm missing here? Or is it possibly down to content contractual/licensing issues? It just doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

I can't understand why they can't provide the multicast channels either, especially as they work. I think it's more down to the fact that if they supply it on their own supplied box they can ensure you use a homehub to use it and will provide full support if something goes wrong.

If you have your own eqiupment (youview and router) then they don't need to guarantee that the service will work, even though we know some routers will work without problems.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 24

@walkerx wrote:

I can't understand why they can't provide the multicast channels either, especially as they work. I think it's more down to the fact that if they supply it on their own supplied box they can ensure you use a homehub to use it and will provide full support if something goes wrong.

If you have your own eqiupment (youview and router) then they don't need to guarantee that the service will work, even though we know some routers will work without problems.

Yes, I can understand why providing such services to those on other ISP's (and hence other routers) could be a problem due to the multicast technicalities and QoS requirements, but why no £7 BT Player Entertainment package for BT Infinity customers with BTHomeHubs and retail boxes? Why only the £5 BT Player Essential? Why no bolt-ons, yet allow BT Sport?

Maybe some things are beyond our comprehension and not meant to be questioned by us mere mortals.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 24

@umpire wrote:

@walkerx wrote:

Yes, I can understand why providing such services to those on other ISP's (and hence other routers) could be a problem due to the multicast technicalities and QoS requirements, but why no £7 BT Player Entertainment package for BT Infinity customers with BTHomeHubs and retail boxes? Why only the £5 BT Player Essential? Why no bolt-ons, yet allow BT Sport?

Maybe some things are beyond our comprehension and not meant to be questioned by us mere mortals.

I agree I can't see why they can't do it - the multicast channels work on the retail box without any problems

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 24

Wrt extra channels, it's probably down to the cost of creating products, altering their sales systems and training the call handlers being higher than anything they'd make back off customers.

Let's face it - if you are a BT Infinity customer chances are that you'll buy your box from BT rather than a shop as it works out cheaper overall. So it probably doesn't make financial sense for BT to offer the bolt ons because it's not going to bring in much income.
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 24

I only have a retail box because when Youview started I was on O2. I then switched to BT for Infinity. It was only after that that BT started their inclusive box offer.

If I am in the market for a new Youview box in future, as a BT customer I of course won't be going out to buy a retail box.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 24

Page 38 of the new Jan 2014 tariff guide shows that BT Player Essential is indeed now the only option on retail boxes for new subscribers (previously there have been BT Player Unlimited £10 and £12.50 options).

Interestingly though it then states the following.

"No other viewing bundle or viewing packs are available with the Player service. Add-ons are not currently available with any Player subscription except for the Sky Movies video on-demand Add-on."

The BT Player Essential web page makes absolutely no mention of the Sky Movies on-demand Add-on. Was this a historic option? Of course it makes no sense to pay £16 for it anyway as you can now get the same on-demand content through the Sky Now TV Player on Youview for £9.

0 Ratings