cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Backward step?

Left sky when BT announced the launch of its UHD channel last July. Happy for the first 2/3 weeks then the box started playing up I.E wouldn't connect to network, no iptv channels, catchup etc unless constantly turned on/off with switch on the back and then only fixed for maybe 3 days a time. Had had enough of the 'technical teams' try this and try that. Threw it eventually in the bin and went to Argos and purchased a BT retail Youview+Hd box T2110 for £150. This little G4, I think it's know as that, box has worked faultlessly and gives me everything other than 4K channel that the G5 box did and no hassle. Very sad I think though that I had to go back to 'old technology' to just watch/record/demand tv without hassle 😞 and pay for the privalige.
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Backward step?

Your original box could have been repaired or replaced by BT. Remember you are covered for upto 6 years
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Maybe walkerx, maybe but 1 night I'd had enough. I'm not knocking the BT TV service in any shape or form as I'm more than happy with the service but, the technical team gave me the impression they didn't or couldn't be bothered. I'll simply keep the service going and no dought 1 day the G5 box will be avalible from high street retailers. I'll just buy one and as I did with this G4 box, plug it in and watch tv.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

Consumer electronics should not be thrown 'in the bin' - they should be disposed of responsibly as they poison the land they end up in.

You would have been able to get a faulty unit swapped out with patience and the faulty unit would be disposed of responsibly by BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

I think I can put your mind at rest Telecom89. The offending Humax DTR4000 box was placed in Forest Heath District Councils blue recycling bin at my home address. This is for any dry recycling materials including electronic household appliances. Being a goverment department IE a local council, they have a duty to recycle in accordance with current EU directives which, I think you'll find, should place this equipment in a position which will not harm the environment for us or our future generations.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

@Paulsky wrote:
I think I can put your mind at rest Telecom89. The offending Humax DTR4000 box was placed in Forest Heath District Councils blue recycling bin at my home address. This is for any dry recycling materials including electronic household appliances. Being a goverment department IE a local council, they have a duty to recycle in accordance with current EU directives which, I think you'll find, should place this equipment in a position which will not harm the environment for us or our future generations.

Good stuff - just a bugbear of mine when you see the amount of stuff people chuck into the 'landfill' bin..!

At least it's not as bad as the GPO's radioactive trimphones...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 8

walkerx since when was you covered for up to 6 years. I thought you were only covered with BT for there equitment as long as you stayed in contract with them.

I have had the G4 box nearly 12 months now and im very happy with it. Its far better than the older style BT Youview box that I had before that I still use as a Freeview PVR on another TV.

Darren

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 8

I thought that issue was that you don't buy the YouView box from BT. You pay an installation fee but the box is 'free' so as you haven't bought the box I don't see how anybody without a valid BT TV contract would get a box repaired/replaced free of charge.

I've yet to meet anyone who had consumer electronics repaired/replaced for free that were not covered by a manufacturer or extended warranty.

See: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product

in particular they state:

"Your rights against the retailer can last for up to six years, but the onus is on you to prove a fault was present at the time of purchase after the first six months."

So not really 6 years free cover.

0 Ratings