Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Joesavage1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Bad broadband in certain areas.

Hi,

My friend recently started complaining to me about his bad broadband speed with BT, so I said I'd help get him to a regular speed. He's paying for a 8mb connection, but is lucky when he receives speeds of even 50kbps; most of the time he gets around 20kbps, which I think is absolutely despicable.

He lives in Wood Walton in the UK, and he and his family insist that it's due to their location that they get such poor speeds.

Is there anything I can advise/help them with to help fix this issue and/or improve their internet speed?

Thanks In Advance,

Joe

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 20

Re: Bad broadband in certain areas.

@Joesavage1 wrote:

Is there anything I can advise/help them with to help fix this issue and/or improve their internet speed?

Firstly, what are we looking at ?

Post the line stats from thier router.

Run a test at speedtester.bt.com and post the result.

0 Ratings
Joesavage1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 20

The speed is 9kbps on average through various tests on the web.

As for the line, I don't now how to check it; when I use the online fault checker it says "There is no BT service recorded against this number. It may be possible that another company provides the service, in which case you will have to contact that service provider to report the problem.", although the broadband is clearly from BT.

Please Help,

Thanks In Advance,

Joe

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 4 of 20

Hi Joe,

Is the broadband definitely from BT? What router is he using? Can you post the full speed test results from www.speedtester.bt.com as IanC suggested?

Can you also post his router stats, so we can check things such as his loop loss, noise margin etc.

Thank,

Stephanie
Community ModeratorStephanie
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Joesavage1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 20

He is using the homehub; as for the official speedtester from BT, Ill try and get him to do it when he can (he is often doing other things).

As for the router status; I'm afrid I don't know how I can check this..

Please Help,

Thanks In Advance,

Joe

0 Ratings
Joesavage1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 20

Research on the forum has shown me how to do the router status check; however the "admin password" doesn't work, I have also tried "admin" and nothing as the password; but to no avail.

No one has changed the password (Im 99.9999% sure) and the default passwords don't seem to work.

Am I correct in saying that by holding the reset button for 25-30 seconds it will reset this password? Will this then cause other problems (because I don't want to then have to reconfigure everything)?

Please Help,

Thanks In Advance,

Joe

0 Ratings
Sweeney47
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 20

pressing that button restores to factory defaults so any ports etc that he has forwarded will be lost but should also reset the password to default...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 20

If you have BB Talk doing a reset to default will loose the settings and will hev to be put back in the HH

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Joesavage1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 20

Will it also reset any security (WEP, WPA, or other) that I have set? (I'm not sure if this is handled by the homehub or not).

0 Ratings
Joesavage1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 20

Im guessing it wont? Since I personally have never used the homehub (but the people I'm trying to help are using it) I don't know what it actually is (is it a router (so would therefore manage the security) or is it a modem (in which case it wouldn't).

Thanks In Advance,

Joe

0 Ratings